Sisters and Sweets

-

Karl's call with Nick was going just fine, they were both working and enjoying each other's company while listening to each other's keyboards clicking away. Karl was fully concentrated on his work, and was doing just fine until Nick began to hum the song.

Karl gasped slightly, hearing Nick's gruff voice hum the melody softly. He was panicking at first, the memories of the dream flooding his mind again, but it was quickly washed away by the comfort. His head rested in his hand, listening to the younger boy. Nick quickly noticed that Karl had stopped typing, and was quite curious as to why.

"Oh sorry, was I distracting you?" He asked quickly, stopping the humming abruptly. Karl shot back up in his chair, startled back into reality.

"Uh, no, sorry! I've heard that song before, I was just enjoying it," He said, laughing to hide how astonished he was. Nick didn't say anything else just hummed in response, so Karl ended up just going back to work reluctantly.

____________

They ended up hanging up the call at around 6 PM so that Karl could go shopping for the visit. Just before he hung up however, Nick said something that made Karl's face flush red, the blush not leaving for the entirety of the rest of the day.

"Alright, see ya later, pretty boy~" It was a small compliment, but it kept rebounding in his head. The words echoed in his mind as he put on his shoes and stayed there as he walked out the door and got in his car.

It had started to fade when he got to the store and starting to pick things out. He got the usual, bags of chips, some fun dips for them, and lots of sodas and candies. While he was pushing a half-full cart through the candy aisle, a box of Sourpatches caught his eye. A sudden wave of nostalgia hit him.

He was reminded of all the times that he and his sister would beg for their Dad to get them some, and they would sit on the floor of the living room snacking on them. He smiled at the fond memory, and grabbed two boxes, hoping to share one with her again.

He pulled out his phone and texted her quickly, asking if she'd like to come over for a bit. Soon enough she responded yes, and he happily checked out his stuff.

He headed home, he was setting the bags on his counter of the dimly lit kitchen, and soon enough he heard his doorbell ring. He quickly set down the bags and slid on his multicolored socks to answer the door. Corey stood there his a wide smile on her face to greet him she wrapped him up in a big warm hug.

"Karl!" She yelled as she hugged him and pushed her way through the door. She went to hang up her coat and went straight to the topic.

"Alright man, you haven't asked me over for late night snacks in a while. What's up?" She asked, sliding into a bar stool on the other side of the kitchen island where Karl was unloading the grocery bags.

"It's nothing really, I just wanted to see my baby sister!" Karl joked forcefully. She raised an eyebrow and tilted her head at him, knowing fully well that wasn't the truth. "Alright fine. I had a weird dream last night, and I haven't been able to get over it. Happy?" He said smugly as he handed her one of the boxes of candy.

"What kind of dream?" She asked with her mouth full, wiggling her eyebrows at him.

"Get your head out of the gutter, it wasn't anything like that," He said exaggerating on 'that' and turned to put some of the chips in the shelf of the cupboard and let out a long sigh. "I've told you before I had those creepy dreams, where I'm cuddling with like, a random person, who doesn't look like anyone right?" She nodded, urging him to continue. "Well, uh- they had an identity this time!" he said laughing and swinging his arms around to hide how flustered he really was. Corey flung her mouth open to add a dramatic effect to her astonishment.

"Who was it? You gotta tell me now!" She shouted, putting another candy in her mouth. He took one more deep breath before saying.

"Nick" he finally admitted. She sat there shocked and kept staring at him. He put away the last few items and gestured for her to come sit on the floor with him. They made their way over to the couch and plopped on the carpet, and Karl opened his own box of Sourpatches.

"Was it like an ahem ~you know~ dream?" she asked. Karl shook his head aggressively in response.

"No, it wasn't like that at all. I thought I woke up, and instead of dead arms like usual, they were really muscley, and he was wearing Nick's signature bandana, and no shirt," He admitted, finally pushing past the embarrassment.

"So, do you like him or something? Like-, why Nick? Wait, this the guy who sets everything on fire right, the football player?" Karl nodded his head, confirming her thoughts.

"I don't like him or anything, that I'm sure of, but now I can't talk to him, or think about him without thinking of the dream. And now he's going to be here tomorrow, and I don't know how I'm going to deal with it," Corey listened attentively, but she already knew what was going on.

"Karl, bud. You like him. Nobody has dreams like that for no reason,"

"I don't! I have nothing against guys, but I don't think I have feelings or anything for Nick. I just got hung up because of Valentine's day, and I've been talking to him alot. It's really no big deal," She gave him a raised eyebrow.

"If it's really no big deal, why did you call me over here?" She asked, pointing out the obvious. Karl looked down at his box of candy and picked a little at the plastic.

"Fine, the feelings part is up for debate, but will you just tell me what to do?" he pleaded. She sighed sitting upright to help him.

"There's going to be other people here, right? So don't worry about it too much. You guys are going to be having so much fun that you will completely forget about the dream. And if you don't, then you don't. Maybe after he goes home tell him about it, and see what happens. It doesn't hurt to be honest,"

Karl understood what she said, but it didn't make dealing with his feelings any easier. He was hoping for an end-all-be-all fix, but it was clear that wasn't going to happen.

Accepting her response he changed the subject to her love life. They talked about all the drama, how Candace was doing, general life things, till both boxes of candy were empty and they were half laying on the couch talking. Corey took a big sigh before standing back up.

"Well, sorry Karl but I should probably get back home. Thanks for inviting me over, I honestly really needed it," she admitted, pulling him into a big hug. Karl nodded and walked her to the door, and handed her the coat.

"Please don't hesitate to call, alright? Me and Candy are always here for you," They laughed and hugged one last time, and Karl shut the door behind her as she walked to her car.

He turned and leaned against the cold metal door, and squeezed his eyes shut tight. He slowly slid down, pulling his knees up to his chin, completely lost in thought.

He sat with the cold metal piercing his back, he was thinking about what to do. He knew he didn't have feelings for Nick, like Corey said, he would have known if he did.

He sat thinking for a while longer but eventually went up to his room. He didn't change, he just went straight for his bed. He roughly jumped onto the bed and stared intently at the ceiling desperately. He didn't want to have the dream again, but he did want to sleep. He battled with himself, half under the covers for a while, and he eventually went to sleep.

Before sleeping though, the same comforting sentence from the same comforting voice bounced back in his head.

"Alright, see ya, pretty boy~"

Edited by 
1337 words