poe dameron | epilogue

happy valentine's day! here's some appreciation for poe, finn, and rey <3 

/ / /

For the first time in a long time, you felt like you could breathe. He was raised to fight for a cause that he never got to choose. All of his days were full of violence and pain, but the Force pulled him away from all of it and into the loving family he had made. It was just you, Rey, him, Poe, and of course BB-8 and Chewie --- and everything was perfect. The war was over, and while friends like Connix and Rose had gone their separate ways and started their lives of peace, the tight group of four best friends couldn't part with one another. 

Most days were spent traveling through hyperspace on the Falcon. There was nothing more exciting to you or Poe than to see the galaxy through the eyes of Rey and Finn. Finn, who was raised in a world of violence and order. Rey, who was trapped for nearly twenty years on the planet of Jakku, waiting for her family to rescue her. Now was their chance to see it all together. They did so hand-in-hand, with you and Poe teaching them that you knew. 

It was the end of the seventh day of the trip, and you were sitting next to Poe, his arm draped over your shoulders. Finn and Rey were in the cockpit, talking quietly. Your eyes were drooping closed as sleepiness overtook you. Your head leaned against the curve of Poe's neck and you slipped under. 

"Falling asleep on me already?" 

Poe's voice made you jump awake. He laughed at your reaction and you grimaced, pulling yourself out from under his arm. With a yawn, you pulled his brown leather jacket tighter around your body, shivering. The Falcon always had a draft nowadays; you couldn't remember the last time you were warm on this ship. 

"Not my fault I'm so tired," you mumbled. "You're the one that dragged us all to the beach at sunrise." 

"Don't act like you didn't love that," he said, rolling his eyes. "And you were the one that suggested we take them." 

"I don't want to hear it from you, Dameron," you said, even though he was right. It was your idea --- and it was completely worth it to see the faces on Finn and Rey as they watched the bright orange sun rise over the turquoise waves and paint the sky with strokes of color. You stood up from your seat and stretched before turning back to look at your husband. "Come on, I want to go to bed."

"You go ahead and go on," he said, capturing your hand between both of his. He kissed the back of your hand. "I'm going to make sure BB-8 is settled in for the night first. He probably needs to charge up." 

"All right," you said. You leaned down and pressed your lips sweetly to his, pushing your hair back behind your ear. "I love you."

His deep brown eyes swept across your face. His lips twitched into a smile as he looked at you. "And I love you, beautiful." 

Your hand slipped out of his as you pulled away. You walked out of the room and down through the narrow corridors. Your bunk was just at the end of it, but before you crawled under the thin covers of your narrow bed, you stopped by the cockpit.