Moving In and Meeting the Team (Part 2)

Around 10am the next day, you receive a text from Pepper saying that she will be at your apartment at 11am, as mentioned yesterday. 

You love the small studio apartment that you have called home since starting college. All of your work is done for school, and now you are just waiting on your degrees to be printed and sent to you. There are not many things to pack, just some clothing, trinkets, photo albums, books, which you started last night after getting home.

There is a knock at your door, and Pepper walks in. "Hey, Cassidy!" Pepper always appears to be very positive and upbeat, which is a breath of fresh air honestly. You cannot help but smile in return.

"You look mostly packed already." She says.

"Well, there wasn't that much to pack. Only need a few things that are of importance." You say, pointing at the maybe 10 boxes that are packed. "Are you sure moving in is ok? I can honestly stay here and walk to the compound...."

"Cassidy," Pepper interrupts putting a hand on your shoulder, "Listen to me. We WANT you at the compound, especially Tony. It's really all he has been talking about since showing you the lab."

You smile. "Ok. Thank you, Pepper."

"Now let's get these boxes to the car. Happy will help us out." As Pepper says this, a man enters your apartment. 

"Hello, Cassidy. I'm Happy." He extends his hand which you shake.

"As long as you're not sad." You hide a smirk. "Sorry, too soon?"

Happy looks at Pepper and then back to you. "Oh boy. You're definitely Tony's daughter. We may be in trouble, Pepper." You feel a bit concerned, but then Happy laughs, "Just messing with you. Welcome to the family, kid."

*Back at the compound*

You, Pepper, and Happy arrive in the elevator with a luggage rack of your boxes. Tony walks up to the three of you with a smile on his face. You see Steve, Thor, Nat, and Peter in the kitchen and living room.

"Is this everything?" Tony asks.

"Yes. Everything that means something." You reply, looking at the boxes.

"Nat, want to help me move Cassidy in?" Pepper looks to Nat sitting in the kitchen.

"Absolutely!" Nat stands and walks over to hug you. "Welcome to the compound, girl!" You already have a best friend/big sister vibe from Nat, feeling very comfortable around her.

You walk up a flight of stairs, and you are the second to last door on the right side of the hallway. Walking in, there is a bathroom on your right, a couch in front of you, TV and dresser on the left, and your bed on the right. The walls are a light purple color, which just so happens to be your favorite.

"To your liking?" Tony asks standing in the doorway.

You turn smiling, "Very much so, thank you Tony."

"When you ladies are finished, lunch will be in the main room." Tony mentions before leaving and heading back.

You hang up your clothing, and put some in drawers. You find the photo of you and your mom, holding it for a few seconds.

"Who is that?" Nat asks. Pepper walks over, already knowing who it is.

"My mom. She....passed away about a week ago." You do not make eye contact with either Pepper or Nat, just run your fingers along the frame.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Cass." Nat says putting a hand on your shoulder. 

You choose to put the frame on one of the nightstands next to your bed. "That's really it here, so should we go to lunch?" Both Nat and Pepper look at you and nod, as you force a smile on your face. 

Nat walks on ahead, while Pepper walks back with you. "If you ever need anything, Cassidy, Tony and I are here. I know I can't...."

"Pepper," You stop in the middle of the hallway, simply pulling her into a hug, "Thank you." You feel Pepper tighten her hug around you. "I am quite hungry though," You both laugh and continue your walk to the main room.

Before you can start eating, some new faces enter the compound.

"Ah, Cassidy, this is Wanda." Tony introduces another woman who greets you with a smile and a hug.

"Greet to meet you, Cassidy!" Wanda says as you return the unexpected, but appreciated, hug.

"And here comes trouble." Tony says nodding to the doorway.

"As always, thank you for being the best welcoming committee, Stark." A taller man dressed in a green suit, with black hair longer than your own, steps into the compound.

Thor steps over to you to introduce you two, "Cassidy, this is Loki, my brother. Loki, this is Cassidy, a new lab engineer." 

You can tell that Loki reluctantly holds his hand out to shake yours. "Nice to meet you, Loki," you say extending your hand as well. Once your hands touch, it feels like ants are crawling between your palms. You assume you shuffled your feet or something, but Loki is looking down at your hands too, confused. You both pull your hands away, making very brief eye contact, not saying another word to one another.

As you all sit, eating lunch, you are getting to know the team. Pepper, Nat, Steve, Thor, Clint, and Peter are sitting on the couch with you. Tony and Bruce are chatting a few feet away, and Loki is sitting on the island, away from everyone. 

"So you're almost 20, and have 2 MASTER degrees?" Nat asks, eyes wide in shock.

"Yes," you laugh taking another bite of food. "I think I get most of my knowledge from my mom." 

As you say this, Pepper nearly spits out her drink. "Sorry, that's just accurate probably." Tony looks over at both of you, not amused, but you and Pepper are grinning ear-to-ear. 

"Cassidy, I may be calling on you to help me with some school work," Peter chimes-in.

"No worries, Parker." You reply with a smile.

The conversation continues to flow, before everyone heads to train, while you, Tony, and Bruce head to the lab to get some work done.