Ch 3: Goodnight

Calla POV:

I lay stalk still in bed next to the leach lord, unable to sleep and unable to move due to his arm around me.

        With nothing to do but feel the cold of his body seep into my skin I stared off into space. counting backwards from a thousand on repeat, trying desperately to keep from drowning in my own thoughts.

        Lying in a bed wearing nothing but skimpy underwear next to a vampire was something I had always wished to avoid. I may be young but from the moment I understood what it meant to be captured by the 'night creatures' as my mother always called them, I had sworn to myself that It would never be me.

        I would never be a woman who wore a collar.

        Yet here I was collar and everything. 

        I wondered if she would be disappointed. She had tried her very best to protect me, leaving me behind only when death stole the last beat of her heart. And here I was beginning a life she tried to avoid for me.

        My mother was a kind and wonderful woman with a 'stick it to the man' attitude, the man being vampires these days.

        'the man' had been Vampires since before I was born. 

        They took over almost a century ago, I wish I could say how but I cant. 

        I never went to school because my mom didn't want to register me as a human she didn't want to make it easy for them to take me away if they wanted.

        According to records my mother died ten years before I was born. She was a smart woman with a high sense of right and wrong and she knew the vampires were wrong.

        So she raised me by the sun rather than by the night like humans are raised now, switching me over when I got a bit older and we had to start moving. 

        We were always moving, drifting from place to place and stealing to survive. She taught me how to read and write along with the necessity's of survival but could not do much else for me. Still she would bring me old text books when she managed to find them and let me listen to whispers on the street so I could learn about the world around me and what it used to be. 

        I wish I could say I was a smart girl, I like to think I am. I can survive in any environment and lie through my teeth if I need too but I'm not the most book smart girl, although I did read the dictionary once to help my vocabulary, my lifestyle hadn't allowed for it. The way I see it I traded my smarts for my freedom.

        But now I don't even have my freedom, so what am I?

        The vampire Lord shifted in bed next to me, pulling me closer, "what the hell are you thinking about?"

        Shocked I yelped a bit, struggling in the bed to face him. By the time I was looking into his odd dual colored eyes I had successfully tangled myself in the sheets. 

        He was staring at me, one dark brow raised, a small smirk on his face, and amusement dancing in his eyes, "I asked you a question pet."

        I blinked at him, I hadn't glanced at him since we entered the room for fear he would get some ideas but this was not what i was expecting. His formally slicked back hair was now a shaggy yet somehow interesting chaos of wavy locks, the dyed red streak clearly visible as it swiped across his forehead with the rest of his bangs.

        He looked younger. Less vampiric lord and more dangerous if that made any sense.

        I wiggled away from him a bit, "uh thinking?"