17. Dance in the rain

Hello my amazing reader! How r u? For me, well, there's bad news.
So, I went to the doctor today. It went something like this;
Doc: I'm sorry, Miss J.
Me: *internal freakout* Come on, doc. Can't be that bad.
Doc: Oh, but it is. You've got...
*Cue dramatic pause*
Doc: ... Empathy!
Me: *External freakout* Noooo!
Doc: P.S You also have high fever.

17. Dance in the rain

Sunlight cuts through the little spaces between the trees and shrubs, reaching the earth in small patches of buttery yellow. Birds chirp in their nests, preparing for the day's work.

Birds. They're like omegas in a sense. Working from dawn till dusk just to keep going.

But birds don't have to answer to stupid seniors. They don't get forced into submission on the name of duties. They don't get stuck with bosses on the name of a pack— in the name of family. 

I yawn as I push myself up from my sleeping bag. Rubbing my tired eyes, I look around. The fire had died down at some point in the night. Luke's luggage sits by one tree, near it, I see a tall figure leaning against the bark.

Luke looks over his shoulder and catches me sitting. His eyes have slight shadows under them, but otherwise, he looks as alert as always, holding the map in his hand.

"I was wondering if I'd have to wake you up as always," He states, going towards his bags

I roll my eyes "Good morning to you too,"

"About fifteen steps in the south, there's a small lake," He ignores my comment and puts the map back inside one of his bags "you can freshen up and then we'll get going."

With a nod, I excuse myself to find this lake. Soon enough, I finish washing myself and my hair. By the time I reach the campsite again, Luke has removed every trace that anyone was ever here. Hell, even the soot from the fire we made is gone.

He tosses me an apple before gesturing me to follow him behind.

"Hey Luke," I ask after I'd finished my food "Didn't we have some Royal werewolves or something?"

"We did," Luke nods "But after the vampire wars, they were no more. And I wouldn't say that was a bad thing."

I raise an eyebrow "Why?"

Wouldn't it have been better that way? Then this ridiculous competition wouldn't even exist.

Jackson's hollow brown eyes flash in my mind. I shake my head. Get a grip, Elise. Whatever happened, happened.

"Being a royal doesn't mean you're going to be a good leader," Luke's deep voice brings me out of my thoughts "Besides, the Royals held too much of their animalistic tendencies. Horribly short tempers, too aggressive, unbearably bossy. The list goes on forever."

"Sounds like you," I mutter to myself

"What did you say?"

"Nothing," I flash him a sweet smile "But then, why this competition? Why not just vote for the Alpha supreme?"

"This isn't just a bloody game, Hazel," Luke says, glancing at me from the corner of his eyes "It's a test. War strategies, survival skills, management and partnership. Whoever's the best at it will rightfully hold the authority over our race."