13. The Stirring Feelings

Hermione walked into her office, trying her best to ignore all of the stares she was getting from all her co-workers. A photo of her kissing Malfoy was just all over the Daily Prophet, from hers truly - Rita Skeeter. God, she hated that lady. Now, word broke out that Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy were together. Some allegations said she was apparently pregnant with his child or that she cheated on Ron with him - which hypothetically in her current lie, was true. But that day at work, everyone was silent.  No one dared to approach her. And she liked the solitude she was getting.

She sat down in her office as she collapsed down on the chair with a deep sigh. "What did I get myself into?" She muttered to herself - a question she wondered innumerable times, a question she really could've avoided just a few weeks ago. If only she could tell Malfoy the deal is off - that she wants out of this whole scheme. But then again, she hadn't talked to him for a good three days ever since that unfortunate night. "Should I just ... owl him?" Just then, there was a knock at the door. "Yes?" Hermione called out, straightening her back as she cleared her throat, shaking her head as if she was tossing all this Draco Malfoy related out the window.

Ron walked in. Oh god, Ron. "Uhm ..."

Hermione took in a deep breath but didn't seem to exhale. Her eyes stayed frozen on him as her body froze. "Uh,"

"I'm just here to drop off something from Harry, he wants you to take a look at this case." Ron told her awkwardly, looking anywhere but her. He walked over and placed the folder on her desk. "That's all,"

"Oh, thank you." She said, placing her hands over the folder, not knowing what she was supposed to do or say. "I --"

"You and Malfoy look really happy, you look happy. I'm - I'm happy for you," Ron finally said with a crack of a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Oh ..." Hermione said, dropping her eyes off of him. "Thank you," She whispered, hiding her frown.

"Well, I - I better get going. Uh, it was nice seeing you." He excused himself and quickly walked out the door. The second he left, Hermione let out a breath she didn't know she was holding in. Her heart pounded against her chest as she placed a hand on her forehead. Was the pain ever going to go away?

There was a knock at the door.

"Did he forget something?" She asked herself, getting up from her chair. "Come in,"

Instead of Ron, Draco Malfoy walked in with a smirk. "Missed me?"

Hermione's interest and attention immediately vanished as she sat back down, frowning. "What do you want?"

"My mother asked to have lunch together today - right now." Draco said, avoiding eye contact with Hermione as he stood by the door.

"What - now?" Hermione asked, checking the time. "Well, I just got back from my break. I-I can't, I'm working, Malfoy."

"Well, work can wait. This, can't. I'll be waiting outside." He said with a shrug as he walked out of her office.

Hermione groaned as she stared at her desk. Well, she didn't really have much to work on today, anyways. It wasn't like people would miss her if she was gone seeing as though everyone ignored her. "Oh, what the hell." She muttered, grabbing her purse and walking out of her office.

---

Hermione and Draco awkwardly sat at their tables as they waited for Narcissa to come. It had been a good ten minutes and they didn't say a single word to each other. Oh, the awkward tension was just ready to suffocate the both of them before they even had lunch.

Draco sighed as he looked down at his hands. "So, uhm ... We - we should probably talk." He said, taking the initiative as he turned to look at her.