14

I watched Alex grab another screw to finish putting the crib together. He had complained about his back hurting as we left his work and stopped on the way back to his place for a crib for me to sleep in. It was excessive, to say the least, but I figured I would have done the same.

"I forgot how annoying these were to put together." He mumbled to himself, pushing his sweaty hair from his face.

"You could have spared yourself the trouble of doing this, you know."

He looked over at me and narrowed his eyes. "I didn't ask for any help."

"You're not getting any. I'm just watching."

"You're antagonizing me."

"You use big words now? I'm impressed."

"Don't start, Lyla."

I giggled. "I can't help it. It's fun."

"Not for everyone."

I uncurled my legs and stretched them out in front of me. I was still adjusting to being short and small. When I held my bunny, I noticed that it was the size of my torso, hugging me back like someone my size would. It was weird.

He exhaled and leaned back. "There. Now I can have some peace and quiet tonight."

"What are you saying?"

He grinned and started putting his tools into his toolbox. "You snore."

"I do not."

"The bags under my eyes say otherwise."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. You just love finding something wrong with everything I do."

"Why do you say that?"

"All you do is complain about what I do wrong and how I bother you. I've cooperated with you for days and I'm still getting yelled at for something. What gives?"

"I guess I could try to be more appreciative-"

I stood up and wrapped my arms around my bunny. "I hate all of this, and you know that, yet I've been perfect. Or at least nearly perfect. I've been following the rules like I'm supposed to. You should go easy on me."

He nodded. "You're right. And I'm sorry. I've been so focused on having you follow the rules that I haven't even noticed you following them."

"Did you just say you're sorry? I never thought I'd hear you say that."

He put a hand on my back and walked me out of the room. "Don't push it."

---

The butterflies in my stomach were swarming the next day. I was nervous about going back to daycare. It was different than the type of school that I was used to, by a lot, but I still felt those first-day jitters. I felt like a new kid again. A new baby.

I tightened my grip on my bunny as I watched Alex pack my diaper bag. I hated that I even needed diapers but I was long past the point of stopping.

"You've been awfully quiet this morning." He said as he zipped the bag up.

I wanted to tell him that I didn't want to go and ease my nerves but I knew the alternative was going to work with him and I didn't want to do that either. It was boring there and I was constantly waiting on someone to poke me with more needles and hurt me further. I would take my anxiety about school over that place any day.

"I just want someone there to like me. I don't make friends all that easily."

He walked over to the bed and sat down beside me. "I've noticed. But you have me now."

I rolled my eyes. "You were a bully. Still are."

"I've been nothing but nice to you."

I scoffed at that. Big time. "You ripped up my bunny! You ruined my life. How is that being nice to me?"

"I've only ever been trying to help you."

"I don't think you know the right meaning of the word 'help'." I said as I laid back on the bed. My hair splayed out around me.

He shrugged. "It worked."

"Unfortunately."

"Like I told you yesterday, Lyla, none of the kids there are going to even bat an eye at you. You're just another baby."

I frowned. I never wanted to be a baby. I still didn't. I didn't have a choice in the matter anymore but I still didn't like it. I never would have chosen it for myself if the choice had been mine to make.

"Come on, I don't want you to be late on your first day back."