ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ

CHAPTER TWOʀᴀɪɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄᴀʀ ᴏɪʟ

CHAPTER TWO
ʀᴀɪɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄᴀʀ ᴏɪʟ

The rain hadn't stopped for days. It dripped down the windows, clattering against the metal roof, threatening to spill across the garage floor from where it fell from the gutters like waterfalls. A small trench had formed around the lower levels of the tree line that bordered the shop, surrounding it like a moat. Violet had to sprint as she ducked into the building from her dad's car, letting him shuffle behind as he hurried to lock the truck.

Violet went straight for the jeep which hid in the back, unfurling the canvas cover and breathing in the fresh scent of rubber. It was like meditation, that feeling of disconnecting from the world and the annoyances that still aggravated her from her day. It wasn't until her name was shouted, that Violet was pulled back to reality again.

"Violet?"

Celia's lilting voice came from the front of the shop.

"In the back," she shouted, wiping her forehead with the back of a sleeve. It'd been an hour since she'd started work on the jeep- a long one at that, thanks to the difficulty with the engine.

"I brought coffee," Celia chimed, holding up a holder with three cups as she entered the back room.

Celia's dark complexion shone brightly under the harsh work lights that hung from the ceiling. She looked so put together, her cream cardigan buttoned to her neck and jeans hugging thick legs, not a spot of dirt on them despite the late hours and horrendous weather conditions. Violet's own clothes had been worn too often to look so pristine.

"Thank God," she exclaimed, taking the warm cup and nursing it between two hands. "I've been craving a decent cup since this morning."

"Don't thank God, thank me. I drove all the way to town to pick these up," Celia said as she placed her bag into the passenger's seat, leaning in to take a glance across the Jeep's interior.

"Thank you, Cee. How can I repay you?"

She raised a curious brow, playing with the ends of her hair. By the look on her best friend's face, Violet knew she wanted something from her.

"I want to go on a hike."

"In the rain?" Violet couldn't contain the disbelief that dripped from her voice.

Celia shrugged. "You love the rain."

"Yeah, and you hate it," she said, placing the cup down on the workbench. "You know I'll go on a walk anytime. Besides, I need a break."

"Not getting anywhere with it today?"

"No," Violet said with a sigh. The wrench clattered to the ground beside her foot.

"I've just about given up today. There's something wrong with the fuel distribution pipes. I can't figure out what it is."

Celia nodded, not bothering to act as if she knew what it meant. She stuck her head under the bonnet lid, gave one curt nod, and turned on her heels again, cringing at the scuff of her boots. Her eyes instead moved to the stack of unfinished school work on the bench.