46| Morning

This chapter is dedicated to elrondluvshellokitty!! 

Thank you so much for all your support with this book, reading your comments and seeing that you enjoyed the book really encouraged me to power through my writers block :)

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

I awoke to the soft light of early morning, a golden halo on the horizon as it peered into the stable, clothing all it touched in a warm glow. Through the open window came the trill of morning birdsong, a chorus of melodies that danced through the air with a newfound eagerness as the darkness of night was washed away.

Sitting up, I noticed the empty spot beside me, finding that Legolas' cloak had been draped over me. The soft material was warm beneath my fingers, and I felt a soft smile spread across my lips.

With a stretch of my arms, I stood to my feet, wrapping his cloak around me. Bending down, I gently nudged Aldion. He opened his eyes, letting out a grumpy huff of annoyance, before closing his eyes once again.

I chuckled to myself. "Fine, I'll let you sleep."

Quietly, I made my way out of the stable. Outside, the city of Edoras had just begun to wake up. Guards tired from the night shift were relieved by new men, and in the distance, dogs barked beneath the rosy hues of the early morning sky.

I inhaled the crisp and sweet morning air, letting the golden rays of light soak into my skin.

"Daeriel!"

Turning at the sound of his voice, my eyes fell upon Legolas as he walked up to me with a smile. I noticed his hair was still out, like last night. His smooth, soft hair fluttered slightly in the morning breeze, framing his face with his golden strands.

Returning the smile, I nodded in greeting. "Good morning hîr nín! You uh..."

I took off his cloak, before holding it out to him. "...you probably want this back, right?"

He shook his head with a chuckle. "Don't worry about it."

I tilted my head with a curious smile, taking the item of clothing back in my arms.

"Oh, okay...well did you sleep alright?"

He nodded.

"I suppose I have you to thank for that."

"Please, Legolas, you give me far too much credit."

The elf prince shook his head in reply. "No, I really don't. I..."

He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.

"Look. I didn't get to tell you this last night so..."

He glanced down, before meeting my gaze with his sapphire-toned eyes.

"...I may never get over what happened to my mother but I...I am grateful that you helped me take the first step. "

A sense of warmth bloomed in my heart, and I smiled. "Of course, Legolas. None of us should have to face the past alone. You taught me that."

I gently nudged him. "And I'm glad that you trusted me enough to tell me. It means a lot to me."

The elf prince nodded as we slowly began to make our way up the hill.

"So are you attending the King's meeting today?" He asked as we passed by a family sweeping by their front door.