Unrelenting

Author's note: sorry it took so long to update. I've been in kind of a rut and trying to figure out the next few chapters. anyway- this chapter is pretty plot heavy but necessary for the story to keep progressing (i promise this is all going somewhere lmao). ily all, thank u so so so so much for 3k votes it's genuinely unreal to me <3

To your disappointment, Snape had been right. For the next few weeks into February, seeing each other had proven to be extremely difficult, almost impossible. Just as he had predicted, teachers were watching you more closely. While walking in the corridors you often noticed the glances filled with confusion and pity that teachers would send your way. And although you knew they were just looking out for you, it had gotten annoying.

However, the fact that teachers were practically spying on you wasn't the only thing keeping you apart.

For one, classes had begun to pick up pace and you were exhausted from struggling to keep up with all the work teachers were assigning. You, along with many other stressed seventh year students, had begun studying for the N.E.W.T.s on top of all the homework. But ever since Severus had revealed that you were losing control of your magic, stressing about school work seemed laughable.

A few odd occurrences had happened since the time you broke the board in Defence Against the Dark Arts; things like your head constantly becoming clouded while trying to perform a spell in Charms or being unusually clumsy and dropping jars of ingredients in Potions. Nothing dangerous enough for you to stop attending classes occurred, but the loss of control added a level of stress and uncertainty in your life.

Dumbledore was holding meetings with Laura almost every night in an attempt to help her regain insights as to what happened on the night she was attacked. The meetings often went late into the night, and she would catch you up during breakfast; today was no exception.

You attentively listen to every word she says, grateful the attention is off of you.

"Everything went black and I woke up on the forest floor and they were gone." Laura says.

Although her memory of the night she was attacked was still relatively cloudy, last week she recalled that there were three people in the forest. However, she only knew the identity of one of them: Hollis Moss.

You were almost convinced that the three people who attacked her were the same ones that attempted to attack you in the dungeons in November. "You know, it's really likely that the other two people were probably Reid and Mueller."

Laura stares at the food on her plate, wide eyed. "It's connected, like it was all planned."

You nod in agreement. "They should've been expelled. I can't imagine what'll happen when their suspension ends and they come back. What the hell is Dumbledore doing? You'd think he'd be smart enough to make the connection." you say, irritated.

"Yeah. Things would get worse." Laura nods.

The thought scared you.

You and Laura both contemplate the situation for the rest of breakfast. You hate the weight you feel on your shoulders. Life once again had become overwhelming.

You don't notice it's almost nine until the Great Hall is almost empty. You quickly gather your things and rush down to the dungeons for Potions.

Besides a few extremely hurried kisses between classes, you hadn't gotten Severus alone in over a month. It was frustrating.

Weeks without his touch had left your mind restless. You were reminded of the first time he forced you to wait for him, to see how badly you actually wanted this. And although now you knew why you couldn't see him as easily, that didn't make it any more bearable.