chapter twelve: soccer tryouts 2

Stay calm, stay calm. I just ran away from a furious Mike. There's no way I'll be able to survive tomorrow afternoon unless I just stop showing up to school once and for all. I walk over to a bench on the sidewalk and sit down. I'll just wait here until its time to go to soccer tryouts I guess. It's the best plan I've got. After a couple of minutes of sitting on the bench I open my phone again to text Kate. I tell her what happened between Mike and I, and its almost like I can hear her calling me stupid from the other side of the screen. I know what I did wasn't the brightest thing I could've done in that situation but what did you expect me to do?! Just take that huge punishment he was about to give me? No fucking way.

Anyways.

It's 3:50. Crap I have to get going. I put my phone in my backpack and I start running down the sidewalk for a couple of minutes until I see the school in the distance. Oh god, please don't let Mike still be at school and see me. I skip going inside the school and just run around the sides until I reach the fields. I look at my phone and now It's 4:00. I still have my uniform on! I go into the locker room and there's no one in there because they're all outside practicing already! I change as fast as the wind, putting on the school practice uniform, my socks, and my cleats on. I look at the time again and its 4:05. Fuck I need to hurry. I shove everything inside of my locker and sprint outside.

"Good job ladies!!" I hear a male voice project towards the fields. That must be the coach. I run even faster to try and catch up to the girls warming up. I'm so tired already and I haven't even started to practice. I catch up to the girls practicing shooting and put my hands on my knees.

"I-I'm here, finally." I huff out of breath. The girls look at me with a weird expression and I take that as my cue to leave and go find Kate. I scan the fields and she's over collecting balls.

"Anna!!! You're finally here!" She screamed then lowered her voice to a whisper, "did Mike find you?" She asked me.

"Bitch you know who I am right? Mike wishes he could catch me." I chuckle with sass.

She finishes collecting the ball she was after and we start to walk closer to the center of the fields. I see the coach walking to the center of the field also.

The coach yells for us to come meet him in the middle. "C'mon ladies!! Over here!!" He waves his hands in the air.

Everyone starts to run to him so Kate and I follow. We all crowd around him.

"Welcome to tryouts girls. I see some familiar faces, I also see some new faces. New faces mean new talent." He places his hands on his hips. "Today we are going to go through all aspects of the game so I can really evaluate you. I wish you luck and try your best. Remember we only have 2 open spots on the team. I'm talking to you, new girls." The coach declared.

Only two!? Damn that means I will have to actually try.

"First we are working on ball skill. Everybody to the cones!" The coach blows his whistle and we all dribble over to where the cones are. He explains the drill and we all get inline behind this one girl, I'm the last one in line.

"I'm nervous..." Kate whispers to me.

To be honest I'm not nervous at all. But I'll just say I'm nervous too. "M-me too..."

The coach blows his whistle and one after one everyone starts dribbling around the cones showing their ball movement skills. I watch Kate go and she's really good. It's almost my turn.

The coach blows his whistle and I dribble around each and every cone. Back and forth back and forth until I reach the end of the cones. I join in the next line and we do it again.