Chapter 22

1 year later

1 year later

It was only a few hours ago when Lieutenant Angharad Jaeger had last seen Ilse Langnar. A few hours ago when she had gifted Ilse a new red leather pocketbook for the 34th expedition, as a 'congratulations' present for her new position in charge of the second brigade on the left wing of the Long Distance formation. A few short hours ago where she shook her Second's hand with a proud grin and said, "You deserve this."

Now Angharad was wishing she had chosen different words. Because Ilse was gone. In fact the entire second brigade was gone.

Casualties were a part of the job, she knew that. But this one felt different. It seemed to hurt more. The pain dug deeper underneath her skin, and Ang felt like it was getting harder to breathe, and she still had to tell the rest of her squad. She wasn't the only one who had lost Ilse. Hanji was particularly sad about the loss of her apprentice as well. As soon as the Scouts had returned back inside Wall Rose, Hanji had retreated into her lab without a word. But Angharad was more worried about one particular member of her Squad.

It was no secret to anyone that James Gray, the soft spoken brunette twin, was head-over-heels in love with Ilse Langnar. And Angharad really didn't want to be the one to tell him. But she was a Lieutenant and a Squad Leader for a reason. Commander Erwin gave her this position for a reason.

As a young woman in Marley, Ang was always a little too headstrong, a little too outspoken, and maybe a little too naïve to the cruel ways that fate liked to toy around with people like pieces on a chessboard. But the last almost 18 years on the island had changed her, she had connected with the people on the island, made a new life, found a sense of purpose, and a family. Now she felt she was too familiar with the cruel games of fate.

The mess hall was fairly empty, most of the surviving soldiers having chosen to skip dinner, in favor of grieving for their lost comrades on their own terms. Her own squad sat at their usual table in the far corner, next to the table where Levi's Special Operations Squad currently sat as well, although said Captain was currently missing. Angharad came to stand at the head of the table, the minimal conversation ceasing the moment she came to a stop before the tiny family she had created amongst them. Ilse's seat was noticeably empty, and it only caused Ang to want to sink through the floor.

She could tell they suspected something was up. Their usually bright and motherly squad leader rarely ever wore such a look of disappointment, though the disappointment was more directed at herself than anything else.

"Lieutenant?" Of course James was the first to speak up. He'd always been more perceptive to the emotions of those around him, always able to know exactly what to say whenever present. Ang felt like she wanted to puke.

"I...have some depressing news." She cleared her throat and took a seat across from James, Ilse's seat at the table. Ang turned to look at Jeremiah and Layla before turning her eyes back to James. "It turns out that nobody from the left wing of the formation made it home."