🌞Chapter 16🌻

🌞🌻

The door burst open, revealing Mew, his white thawb fluttering around him. Gulf was the first thing he fixed his eyes on as he strode into the room. His severe expression softened for only a moment. But then his eyebrows knitted together once again, his displeasure evident.

Gulf stayed on his feet, unable to make the slightest move. He couldn't pull himself together, but it was more than just that. Joy, sorrow, embarrassment, and many other emotions flooded his heart.

"AA," Mew called out in a low voice.

He was dressed in a pure white keffiyeh and thwab. Gulf was awed by his majesty and stared at him, transfixed, forgetting all else.

"Tell me what's been going on here," Mew ordered.

He was a desert lion. A nervous energy filled the room at his threat, couched in his glaring eyes.

"Oh, we met by chance," Kadim answered. "I wanted to offer him some coffee, but I suppose it's time to be sending him home."

"I'm not talking to you," Mew snapped, sweeping aside the explanation.

Kadim paled and held his tongue.

"AA."

The second time Mew said his name, AA unhurriedly stubbed out his cigar. "Mew, please don't blame Kadim," he finally said. "I'm sure he never imagined that a guest of yours would be wandering around lost in the desert."

A small muscle in Mew's temple twitched. Gulf didn't know which of AA's insults Mew was reacting to, but it was clear that he was infuriated.

"I can't overlook this, no matter what his reasons," Mew said.

"That's perfectly understandable," AA agreed. "But would you consider forgiving it this time, out of consideration for me? Even I wasn't aware that you had a guest at the palace in Saria."

AA's theatrical tone was no doubt deliberate. Gulf thought he detected a hint of bargaining in the man's voice as well---forget all this in exchange for my silence.

The brunt of Mew's anger was reserved for Gulf, but the man didn't look at him. He was obviously more upset at Gulf than anyone else for acting so stupidly and getting caught in such a dangerous place.

"Cousin, I swear that we've done nothing to him," AA added. "Ask him yourself."

Cousin. Gulf remembered now, AA Pattarabut, Mew's younger cousin, and the next in line for the throne.

"Trouble will catch up with you soon enough if you keep affiliating yourself with a disgraceful place like this," Mew shot back icily.

AA gave a small smirk. "I'll keep your advice in mind, cousin. We can all agree that the Ziyard brothel is a scandalous pit, within Madina's borders, but isolated from it...Isn't that right, Kadim?"

Kadim looked only more distraught that AA was asking him to back this up.

AA's eyes turned to Gulf. "Ah, the guest. If you run into any trouble, feel free to come by, I might be able to help you."

Mew did not respond. He didn't give Gulf a chance to respond either. He grabbed Gulf by the arm and pulled him roughly out of the room.

As soon as they were outside the building, Mew's hand slipped away. He strode silently up the alley and Gulf had to jog to catch up. This wasn't the right time to thank Mew for saving him.

Mew's guards were waiting for him in front of the brothel.

They came out into the square, where the helicopter stood. Mew got in, but Gulf hesitated for a moment. Mew shot him a look and he climbed in, compelled. The guards then got into the front seats.

The helicopter rose into the air.

Mew spent the entire ride in silence, facing forward. Gulf had missed his chance to express his gratitude, and in the end, they returned to Saria palace without saying a word to each other.

TBC