Chapter 17.

"Morgan." JJ entered the room briskly, TV remote in one hand.

"What's up?" The muscular man stood from the desk, watching as JJ turned the flat screen on.

"What is reportedly being called a routine questions and answers meeting by Colorado Child Services, has turned into a violent and deadly standoff between Colorado Authorities and a fringe religious group known as the Separatarian Sect..." The TV produced, coming from the live reporter on screen.

"JJ, that's not the ranch where Prentiss and Reid-"

"They're still inside." She interrupted.

"Hotch!" Morgan shouted so loudly it caught the attention of the entire bullpen, and Rossi and Hotch through their closed door offices. "The TV. Prentiss and Reid." He said as the men came out of their offices.

"...No one knows for sure how many people are inside. It is believed 3 of the Child Service members are still trapped in the compound..."

Just then, all the phones began ringing, signalling them as leads for hostage rescue and support, meaning the remainder of the team would be heading to Colorado. The TV report continued, giving them more context on the current Colorado circumstances occurring. "...Turned deadly when the Colorado State Police officers tried to serve a warrant. Colorado Attorney General, Jim Wells, says the reclusive cult has been the subject of a 6 month weapons investigation..."

"6 months? We didn't check?" Morgan asked.

Aaron at this point had tuned out the entirety of the new reporter's voice, and barely listened to Morgan, not wanting to hear how Emily - the woman he had yet told he loves - is in a life or death situation. All the worst things that could have happened, had.

"No. We checked. I had ATF call Wells. He told ATF there were no pending state investigations. He lied." JJ reassured.

"Why?" The Italian man spoke up, over the repeating and overbearing news reporter.

"Wells is challenging the governor in the next election. He thought that ATF was about to poach his big election-launching weapons bust. Now it's clear he didn't know there were FBI agents there. He just thought the best time to serve a state warrant was when the kids were safe, inside the school, being interviewed."

"What do we know about the Sect?"

Aaron stayed quiet, not wanting to speak out of fear of all emotions blurting out. He hadn't told Leila the full extent of what was going on - Belle knew parts and wasn't thrilled -, and he dreaded the fact that when Emily next sees him, he'll be a pool of emotions - that's if she makes it out of there.

"Liberty Ranch was founded in 1980 by libertarian, Leo Kane." Garcia spoke, popping onto the screens within the jet. "He created it as a self-sustaining commune."

"Libertarians believe that everyone has the right to do what they want as long as they aren't infringing on the rights of others." Morgan added.

"But libertarians aren't religious. Clearly this Sect abandoned libertarian principles."

"Benjamin Cyrus, the current leader, introduced religion 8 years ago when Kane left." Hotch plucked up the courage to talk, after holding back his emotions once again.

"Garcia, what do we got on Cyrus?" Morgan asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"Ah, we got bupkis. It's like the guy never cast a shadow on the known universe." These words turned Hotch's stomach. It's always the ones with clean records and perfect attendances to surprise you most. "However his predecessor, Leo Kane, is doing a 17 year stretch at Deerfield Federal Prison. Apparently libertarians do not like paying taxes."