Chapter 2

"Ya think Alby's done yet?" I asked Race. We had finished selling early and were heading back to the Lodge. 

"Maybe. Wanna go find out?" I nodded, and he smirked. 

"Last one there's a rotten egg!" I shouted, taking off as fast as I could. I had taken my hair out of its ponytail as soon as we finished and I sighed as the wind rushing past pulled it behind me. I loved running. 

Race was close behind and gaining, but I knew a shortcut. Albert had showed it to me one day while we were selling. I took a quick left down a back alley and found the fence he had brought me to. I used some abandoned boxes to boost myself over the fence and within another minute of running, I had caught sight of Albert.

"Hey Alby!" I called, walking up to him.

"Caz, what'a doing here?"

"Me and Race wanted to see if you were done sell-"

"Cheater!" A voice yelled out from behind me. I spun around, a grin forming on my face when I saw my brother. 

"I learned from the best of them," I said, reaching out and ruffling his hair. "Guess who's the rotten egg." He shoved my hand away before grabbing his cigar and placing it in his mouth.

"Hiya Albert. Ya done selling ya papes yet?"

"I got two left. Gimme a sec." He turned away from my brother and I and ran toward a group of girls who were walking past.

"Hi," he said, throwing on his most charming smile. "Care to buy a pape?"

"What's the news?" one of the girls asked, a light blush spreading across her cheeks. I rolled my eyes. 

"Same old, fires, floods, crooked politics." He winked at her. A few of the girls giggled and I turned and gagged into Race shoulder.

"You good there, kid?"

"Perfectly fine, thanks," I said. "Am I like that when I see a cute guy?"

"Nah, you giggle a whole lot less, but the blushings still dere." He chuckled. "So ya think Alby's cute, huh."

"What!" I yelled, pulling away. "I neva said dat!"

"Oh but ya did," he replied, teasing me with his charismatic smile and shinning eyes. 

"I hate you," I muttered.

"You love me."

"For some miraculous reason."

"Told ya."

"Oh, get stuffed." 

"All done," Albert said appearing at my side. Race smirked at me before throwing an arm around his best friend. 

"Let's head home then."

"Actually, can we stop at the theater? I told Miss. Medda dat I'd drop by and say hi." 

"Course," Albert said putting his arm around me. We walked like that the whole way to the theater. Just me and my two best friends.

"Miss. Medda!" I called into the large theater. 

"Cassandra, good to see you," she said holding her arms out to me. I smiled before sliding into the hug. "How have the streets been treating you?"

"Good as usual," I replied. 

"I see you brought your brother and your friend with you," she commented.

"We finished selling early and thought we'd pop in."

"Wonderful because I needed to ask you if you would be able to sing tomorrow night."

"Me? Miss. Medda I can't sing."

"Oh hush child," she tutted shaking her head at me. "You have a lovely voice. There is another girl who is helping me out around here that I would like you to sing with."

"Um, well Is suppose I can if you-"

"Perfect. Andrea!" She yelled. 

"Yes Miss. Medda?" A girl appeared from behind the stage curtain. She was fairly short, with brown hair falling to her shoulder. She was wearing black pants and a brown flannel which had its sleeves cut off, showing her toned arms. The cap that was perched on top of her head marked her as a Newsies. She looked to be my age, if not a couple of months younger.

"I didn't know dere were any more goil Newsies," I said to Miss. Medda. "How come shes working for ya?"

"Extra money. She has a younger sister and her job as a Newsie isn't enough to feed both of them." She turned to the girl who was waiting patiently on the stage. "Come on down. There's someone I'd like you to meet."

"Whos the pretty goil?" Race asked me.

"I dunno. Try to keep da flirting to a minimum, though." The girl jumped off the stage and walked over to our small group which was now lacking Albert. I hadn't seen where he had wandered off to.

"Andrea, this is Cassandra Higgins. She's the girl that I told you about. The one who could sing with you. Cassandra, this is Andrea."

"Yous gonna sing?" Race whispered to me. 

"I s'pose," I whispered back. 

Andrea smiled at me before spitting on her hand and offering it to me. Yup, definitely a Newsie. I followed suit, shaking it lightly. 

"I'll leave you two to talk," Miss. Medda said walking away. 

"Hi," Race smirked at Andrea. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Dis heres my brudda, Racetrack. He's bout as annoying as they come." She gave a small laugh before holding out her hand for him to shake. He took it and kissed it before I had a chance to stop him. I face-palmed as Andrea raised an eyebrow.

"Da pleasure is all mine, Sweetheart." 

"The name's Andy," she said bluntly. "Use it." 

"Keep trying, sucker," I said with a laugh. "Go find Albert before he burns the place down or something."

"Well that was... Interesting."

"Dat's my brother for ya. So, tomorrow huh?"

"I can show you some songs if yous want," she offered.

"Dat would be wonderful."

"Victory, yet again!" I said throwing my hands up in triumph. Race, Jojo, Mush, Elmer, Tommy Boy, Buttons and I were currently playing cards. I hadn't lost a game yet.

"She has ta be cheatin'," Race muttered.

"Why's dat, cause I'm actually good at dis game?" He stuck his tongue out and me and I smirked.

"One more game?" He suggested. Everyone but me let out a groan.

"Hasn't Caz won enough tonight?" Tommy Boy said.

"I'm going ta bed," Mush informed us, rising from his spot on the floor. "Elmer, I think yous should do da same." The boy was half asleep on Jojo's shoulder, and had been for the past quarter of an hour.

"I'm not tired," he mumbled.

"Sure ya aren't," I said standing up and grabbing the boy's hands. I pulled him to his feet (it took a lot, but I did it) and slid my arm around his waist to keep him from falling over. With the help of Mush, the two of us got him back to his room and into bed. He was snoring within minutes.

"G'night Mush," I said, exiting the room and heading to where everyone else was sitting. About half of the boys had already left for bed, Jack and Crutchie were on the roof as usual. I plopped myself down on the couch beside Albert, leaning my head on his shoulder. 

"Rough day?" he asked. I could hear the smile in his voice.

"The worst," I replied, letting my eyelids close ever-so-lightly. It was quiet for a few minutes, only the sounds of the rest of the boys getting themselves ready for bed keeping the silence away, but it was perfect. 

This was my home. This was my family. I couldn't have been happier. But even so, something pulled at me. A longing of some sort. I couldn't explain it. 

I shook off the feeling and focused on Albert's rhythmic breathing and soon felt myself drifting off to sleep.