twenty seven: liar, liar, liar

"What is this?" NCT Dream's manager queries and points at the article with its title in a bright red hue- instantly catching one's eyes.

Bold, capital letters are set in the centre to form a sentence;

NCT HAECHAN SEEN GOING ON A
DATE WITH AN ANONYMOUS.
NETIZENS SUSPECT THAT IT MIGHT
BE THE 'MYSTERY STAFF'

The Dreamies all stare at Haechan- knowing the truth and are internally panicking for him.

He bites his bottom lip, holding in his nervousness. "Um, an article...?'

"Donghyuck, this is not funny."

"Then what do you want me to say??"

"The truth. Who is this girl and what were you doing with her?" Their manager interrogates and squints his eyes at the idol. "Could she be... Eunwol?"

Haechan's heart leaps despite, the composed countenance he wears and he quickly frowns. "No, of course not! Besides, it wasn't even a date! It was just a meal together with someone I know."

"You're lying, aren't you?"

"I'm not!"

In his defence, he isn't entirely lying.

Considering the fact that Eunwol and him aren't actually in a romantic relationship yet, with the official 'boyfriend-girlfriend' term, it doesn't count as dating, right?

Or, maybe he's just in trying to weasel himself out.

His manager heaves a long, weighty sigh and runs his hand down his face stressfully. "...Fine. Let's say, I believe you. But, really, Donghyuck, you have to start being more careful.
"This is the second scandal you have this month. One was about how you were being too close with Eunwol and now this. If they find out that this 'anonymous' is her, we don't know what will happen. They're already suspecting her."

"I told you, it's not her! How many times must I say it??" Donghyuck persistently claims and his teammates' gazes fix on him.

He's lying right through his teeth.

And yet, manager hyung seems to be falling for it. "Really? It's not her?"

The dishonesty swirling in Fullsun's eyes is as clear as day to the idols but not to the staff.
"Yes."

"Alright, I'll tell this to the team and we'll figure something out. If they keep assuming that she's the 'Mystery Staff' then, things will go drastic. Especially, when they know being a staff means she's constantly near.
"For today, just rest up. I postponed all your schedules and stay out of trouble."

The door shuts and the seven figures exhale heavily in relief.

"Are you sure lying is the right choice?" Renjun asks Donghyuck the latter's own thoughts and everyone stares at the two.

The younger furrows, annoyed. "So? I have to tell the truth? What do you think they'll do to Eunwol, huh?"

"Butㅡ"

"Enough. This... I don't want to talk about it anymore."

Haechan frustratedly stomps to a room and slams the door with a satisfying THUD!

He isolates himself from the members who are also, in a crisis themselves- thinking of what to do to help.

Alas, they fail to conceive a solution and all they can do is hope for the best.

Besides, even they can't deny the fact that they're all just products chained to the fate of having to win and satisfy the hearts of society.

Even if that means, sacrificing themselves.