Thirty nine

"Erin!" Webber hissed. Erin looked up from the chart she was scanning.

"Hello," she said.

"Why aren't you in that competition your fellow interns are in?" he said.

"Oh, I am in it. I'm winning by at least sixty points. Arizona's been getting me on all of the pediatric cases in preparation for the surgery launching," Erin said.

"Mentioning that surgery, the board are coming tomorrow. They want you to talk it through with them before they approve us to accept a case," he said. Erin's mouth dropped open.

"What?" she said.

"Yes. And you need to have your surgeons picked out," he said.

"Hahn hates me, sir. She's not gonna do this surgery because I want her to," Erin said.

"She can't refuse you, Erin. I'm her boss and it's great for everyone involved. She'll do what I say," he said.

"Okay. I'll go and tell Mark and Hahn then. And phone Addie to send her approval over. And prepare for telling the entire board my surgery. Shit," Erin whispered. She turned and walked away, already pulling her phone out and dialing Addison's number.

"Erin?"

"Addie, I'm going in front of the board tomorrow to get approval for my surgery. I need you to send over an email or something agreeing to do it," Erin said, running a hand through her hair. She saw Meredith, Cristina, Izzie and George running somewhere and took off after them.

"I'll send it over right now. Mark's doing the plastics, right?" Addison asked.

"Yeah, and the new cardio surgeon, Erica Hahn has to do the cardio but she hates me! Absolutely hates me. I don't know why but she's an absolute bitch," Erin muttered. She sighed as Meredith and the other residents disappeared around a corner. "Fucking hell," she groaned.

"Why is she a bitch?" Addison asked.

"She just is," Erin said. She heard Mark's voice and turned around, seeing he, Derek and Derek's new girlfriend, Rose, were stood at the nurses desk talking. "I found Mark. I gotta go and tell him so I'll call you later," Erin said.

"Love you!" Addison ended the call. Erin tucked her phone into her pocket and ran over.

"Baby Grey!" Mark smiled, hugging her and ruffling her hair.

"Hey," Derek smiled at her.

"Hi," Erin said. Rose smiled at her but Erin didn't smile back. "I need to talk to you," Erin said.

"Who?" Derek asked.

"Mark," Erin said.

"Boy troubles? Girl troubles?" Mark asked. Erin scoffed.

"Believe me, I fuck up my own love life enough without your help. It's about my surgery. Come on," Erin said. He nodded and followed her down the hallway. "The board is meeting tomorrow to have me explain the surgery and approve it. I need my surgeons picked out. You, Addie and I'm gonna have to go and find Hahn now," Erin rolled her eyes.

"Okay, page me if you need me to give verbal approval. I know the method and I'll keep it on me tomorrow so I can help if you need it," he said.

"Okay. Thank you," Erin said.

"If it helps, they're gonna say yes," he smiled.

"I hope they do," Erin said. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and kissed her temple.

"They will. You're an absolutely amazing surgeon already and you're the smartest kid. You'll be fine," he said. Erin shrugged. "Look at me," he said. Erin looked up at him. "You pioneered an entire method in a field you barely know or have experience in and Addison agreed that it's one of the best things she's seen in her career. Now, she's older than you so she's been around a lot longer and she wouldn't lie to anyone, especially not you. You are gonna be brilliant and you do not need to worry," he said.