Chapter 61 - We just walked the rest of the track together

People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is chaos, is because things are being loved and people are being used.

- John Green

"Are you ready?" Draco asked as the Hogwarts Express rolled into King's Cross station. Easter break had arrived too quickly.

"Yes", I chuckled. "I hate you, you're a horrible person and I want to throw you off the London Bridge." Draco grinned and squeezed my hand softly before taking a step back.

"Sounds about right." During the last break, I genuinely didn't like Draco all that much, but it was still incredibly difficult to act like I hated him, because I didn't want him to think it was real. Now it was more like some sort of game to play. He knew I didn't mean it and I knew that whatever insult he would throw at me over the course of the break would not be true either. It was a little competition. Who could put up the best act?

Maybe it had always been like that, a game. He used to drive the blood from under my nails, but still I continued engaging in it. In some way, it was exciting, a rush of adrenaline. A constant competition.

But I did genuinely hate him. Every insult I had thrown at him before last year came from the bottom of my heart. We despised each other. And why? Because we thought the other was better than us.

The train door slid open and we walked out. There weren't many students on the train as not many went home for Easter break. The platform was also quite void of parents, making it not very hard to notice that my mother was not here to pick me up. I hesitated for a little while, but I could not stand here like a lost little sheep. I could either go straight to the Floo Network, or ...

"Narcissa!" I said happily as I approached her. I knew I had to ignore Draco, but I was still good with his mother, I had always been. I had replied to her letter last week, telling her that Draco was fine, and luckily, he did look okay, even though it had only been a week since he didn't. I made sure he ate well and slept well and I'd get him to be back to full health by the end of the year.

I hoped to continue writing letters back and forth with Narcissa, picking up the old habit again. She was more like a mother to me than the woman at Selwyn Keep.

"Hello darling, how have you been?" she asked, hugging me shortly.

"Quite alright", I smiled. Draco approached, so I took a step back. There were parents around. Narcissa noticed her son and hugged him quickly too. I could see her eyes analysing his every feature, noticing the weight loss.

"Anyway, I'll come by soon so we can catch up, but I ought to go home now, I suppose", I said a little awkwardly. I couldn't stare at him for too long.

Narcissa looked around and soon came to the same conclusion.

"I'll apparate us there quickly. You shouldn't be bothered with the sooth in the Floo Network right now", she winked. She grabbed my hand and linked her arm through Draco's whilst getting out her wand. I closed my eyes as the familiar feeling of apparition washed over me.

I always had mixed feelings when seeing Selwyn Keep. It was rather beautiful in spring, with the garden in bloom and the ivy thriving on the old stone walls. It could be a lovely home, but the memories that were inside of it had made it quite difficult to savor the beauty on the outside.

"Be sure to come by whenever you want, okay?" Narcissa said. "Our door is always open for you." I nodded and smiled at her. My eyes flickered to Draco shortly and there probably wasn't anyone around to be wary of, but it felt a little awkward to talk to him with his mother present.