🌞Chapter 17🌻

🌞🌻

Sana ran up to him when they reached the palace. "Mr. Gulf! I'm so glad you're safe!"

Gulf regretted what he'd done to Sana. She had been so worried about him that she was crying.

"Sana..." He wanted to tell her that he was sorry, but she wouldn't let him.

"It must have bern terrible when your horse was spooked by the noise of the accident," she babbled.

"Huh?" He stared at Sana, but her shoulders shook, as if she was frightened. He knew perfectly well that the horse hadn't been spooked, but that seemed to be the story the servants had decided to stick to.

"Sana you may go. Thank you." Mew said gently.

Gulf expected Mew to be outraged, but the man was exactly the same as always. He could tell how much Mew trusted Sana, though he had hardly ever seen them together.

When Sana left, Gulf was left alone with Mew. The moment the door closed, an oppressive feeling descended over the room.

"What a ridiculous thing to do," Mew began railing. The corners of his eyes pulled themselves up and deep wrinkles cut across his brow. He could not hide his anger. "What were you thinking, running off into the desert all alone? What do you think would have happened if AA hadn't been there?"

Gulf drew his lips tight. Even if his own reckless actions had put him in danger, he wasn't about to let Mew criticize him for it. Whose fault was it that he'd been forced to do such a thing anyway?

"Gulf, please say something for yourself,"

Gulf averted his eyes and moved away, annoyed at being scolded by him.

"You're..." Mew trailed off and didn't say anything more. He was probably going to criticize Gulf again, but apparently thought better of it. He rubbed his forehead, looking tired, and gave a long sigh. "When you disappeared into the desert, Ziyard was the first place I searched. If you were there, you would be in more danger than anywhere else. And if any more time had passed, things would have been different. Even though my first move was to search dor Ziyard, if I had waited too long, I would never have been able to track you down again. That's the kind of place Ziyard is."

Gulf realized now just how lucky he had been. If AA hadn't been there, or if Mew hadn't come for him, he would be somewhere very different right now. Gulf concept of the world made it impossible to imagine how huge the price could be for acting carelessly even once.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled.

Mew took his hand from his head and looked at Gulf. But Gulf still didn't feel like making eye contact and kept his eyes lowered.

"Sana was in tears when she told me what happened," Mew continued. "She heard the commotion and ran out to see what was happening. She got the story from the stable hand. Although, the guard who came to report to me didn't mention that the horse was spooked."

Gulf had really done a horrible thing to Sana. He blamed himself without hesitation.

"Gulf."

Mew opened his arms wide. Before Gulf had time to get away, he was engulfed in an embrace so strong it made his bones crack.

"Mew..." he squeaked.

"Don't run away," Mew whispered fiercely. "If you do this again, I don't know what I'll do."

His words were overpowering, but Gulf was painfully aware of how much worry he'd caused Mew, Gulf endured Mew's need to hold him now as best as he could, because he had no intention of obeying the man.

It was blindingly obvious that if he submitted to him now, there was no telling what would happen. Staying in Madina and doing as Mew wished was the same as denying himself his own life. He would have to abandon many things, like his peaceful life and all the work he'd put into his career.

But he didn't really care about those things. No, what he couldn't tolerate was being asked to abandon his pride. If he ever did that, sooner or later he would go crazy.

TBC