03. Black Death

(New and edited)
CHAPTER 3: Black Death

He slams his head against the metal again.

BANG!

He breaks through the metal with a slice running down his snout and metallic blood fiddling into the air. I widen my stance as he breathes heavily. He swishes his tail and leans down low as he growls aggressively, barring his teeth at me, lengthening his claws. My lips curl, and the skin along my snout wrinkles as I measure his growl with mine and take a swipe at him, essentially telling him to 'back the hell off.'

Martin was a beast the size of a bear, with lycanthrope features running through him. It's why he was bigger in every way. He licks his chops, staring at me with predator's eyes when he breaks the surface of the platform with razor-sharp claws, ones that could rip into full-grown pine trees by the mere size. So, the rumours about this Alpha being a descendent of some distant lycanthrope race.

The pure definition of one was that they were larger than any normal werewolf, larger than any Alpha for that matter, but that their particular taste under the moon goddess was to rebel against her in ways where they were once royals able to walk in realms where she could not.

She was a spirit, like a metaphorical ancient being that lived more than just in the form of a woman in a white silk dress with a halo on her head and her habitat being the moon, her powers revolving around it and the creatures of the night. Lycanthropes were rare, unusual, they don't follow the rules of our race the same way we do.

I spin in my form, having managed to manoeuvre him out of the front hole he'd created when he threw himself through the metal to place his claim on my transformation. I heard his battle cry behind me. I felt the claws he stabbed through the snow as he dashed after me.

When I say that I felt it, the reverberated against my skull like my own heartbeat in my ears. It pounds against me like nuclear bombs in a warzone. I pumped every muscle to its limits, my paws against the snow.

I leap over a large pile of it, thrown sideways by a heavy pile of large momentum. I howl at his suddenness when our skin connects and the pain in my abdomen increases, screaming for something I wasn't ready for as he slides us against an icy lake.

I snap my wolf head up, lounging knife-like claws at his snout that had just recently healed. Throwing him off of me when he dug his paw into my stomach and tried stuffing his wolf head in the same direction. We roll aggressively along the frozen lake. I bent my ears back and clamped my jaw down, teeth sinking into the fur and skin of his front leg.

I savour in the howling roar that left his lips. I kick him with my back legs as I rip into the muscle of his upper thigh. His growl is deafening as I watch him slide further down towards a rock formation. Down a large field of trees where lit-up torches are located.

I watch the large, midnight sky Alpha male roar and roll to a crunching stop. I slowly lift myself up on my hind legs. The ice-cold conditions numbing pain in my lower limbs as I stare down at a struggling Alpha that keeps trying to get back up to me, growling when he continues to slide down.

I give his wolf a flat look and snort.

He hears it too and freezes before he flies through the air. In a powerful leap that has me dashing quickly towards the heavier tree line, a place in which he should struggle to get through, yet his shadow flows through the trees to get to me. I pant heavily the further I run. I'd run so far when I dashed towards a dark tunnel. Hearing his demeaning roar behind me was a warning not to go in, but I did anyway.

I run faster than the wind through a matter of instincts when I feel the claws of his own paws in the wet soil. I pump my legs faster, my black fur probably distinctive in this tunnel. He feels like he's a breath behind me when I leap over and hear his excruciating howl behind me. I tumble through the air. I watch him scrap the edges of where I leaped as he howls and growls louder, lifting his large midnight-furred head to the dark sky. My heart raced. My blood thinned.