Deception

He remembered.

Those words circulated in his head as blasts of memories resurfaced begging to be noticed, he leaned against Sophie's bed frame to support himself,

"Keefe? You okay?"

A smile found its way too his lips as he heard Sophie's voice.

Fosters voice.

The girl he'd apparently forgotten. Which would be practically impossible now. After all... she was Lady Fosboss, the Mysterious Miss F, the one who'd stolen his heart full of pranks.

Suddenly realizing he hadn't answered Sophie question he looked up, looking straight into her shining brown eyes full of concern.

"Foster." His voice raw with emotion as he analyzed her feature for a second before pulling her into a warm embrace.

For a second he doubted whether she would hug him back but in an instant Sophie was holding onto him as well, bringing him even closer and causing his heart too flutter. That had been happening a lot recently. Especially when he told Sophie tha-

Wait. He froze, tensing as a memory came to him.

Wisps of images entice him as he grasped the threads, desperate to see what he feared.

They'd sat by a tree, Sophie next too him.

At first he was stalling, laughing. Making her blush.

But it didn't stop there.

He...
He'd said...

I'm ridiculously in love with Sophie Elizabeth Foster.

His heart thudded in his chest as he remembered her expression afterwards, the shock, the sadness. It was... too much.

"What's wrong Keefe?" Sophie asked softly as he hung his head. He bit his lip as they released the hug, he... shouldn't feel like this. He'd just gotten his memories back. And now he was sad about girls? Was he crazy?

Yes.

Crazy about Sophie. He confirmed.

Crazy in love with Foster.

"I remember, Foster." He uttered quietly, just loud enough for her to hear.

"You... remember me?" Sophie asked sounding hopeful and he smiled weakly, maybe he could hide his sadness, make her oblivious once more. Who knew... maybe she'd forgotten what he told her? Not likely. She did in fact have a photographic memory...

Finally he found his voice and said,

"Yes. I mean everything's a little jumbled up but I think I've got it straight in my head." Keefe said and smiled at Sophie's excitement, at least till he remembered her mood when he'd said...

"Oh, right." He murmured quietly, hardly able to glance away from Fosters brown eyes even though he knew he should. He had to hide those emotions.

"What's wrong?" Foster's soft voice encased his body as she interrupted his thoughts, so much for hiding things.

"I um." Keefe started, not sure how to finish.

"I remember. What I... told you."

Keefe said and watched as Sophie swallowed, before she could say a word he stood up.

"You know what? I've been acting pretty pathetic. I remembered you. That's... that's great." He said, trying to be happy, to stop that Foster crinkle, to stop his... hopes that she might feel the same.

She doesn't. He had to accept it, so why couldn't he? He'd just remembered her after losing all his memories.

"That should be enough," he said quietly, aware of Sophie's concerned stare.

"Why can't it be enough?" He said to himself.

"I'm sorry Keefe. I don't feel the same way." Sophie said.

His heart dropped in his chest, the pounding sinking and his fake smile falling of his lips.

"It's... it's okay Foster." He said slowly, not meeting her eyes.

"I didn't expect you too. It's fine, really." Keefe said and Sophie nodded, he couldn't help but notice her emotionless stare. As if something was off... but that was just his horrible state...

"Maybe we should take a break from each other." Sophie said and Keefe watched wordlessly.

If that's what she really wanted.

He would do that.

Even if...

Even if sometime it broke his heart to be apart from her.

He had to let her go.

When he looked up to respond he saw Sophie had already left the room, knowing the truth he thought too himself,

It's time to go.

~~(Sophie's Perspective)~~

"It's done." She whispered, closing out of Keefe's mine and facing Grady and Elwin in the healing center.

"As far as he knows, me and him are taking a break from each other. He doesn't know I got hurt, I changed his memories. Let's just... keep this under wraps all right? I don't want too many people lying to Keefe." Sophie blabbered out and Elwin exchanged a glance with Grady who looked especially concerned.

"Are you sure this needs to be done?" Grady asked, and Sophie nodded.

"His mind was breaking. If he knew he hurt me he would succumb to it, I don't want him to feel the pain of shattering and coming back." Sophie said and Grady stared into her eyes intensely, almost as if there was a question on his mind.

But at last he muttered,

"I'll talk to Ro, Edaline and Kye. Is there anyone else that knows about this?" Grady asked and Sophie shook her head, there hadn't been right?

"On it." Grady said, walking out of the room. Sophie took a deep breath, remembering the new memory she'd given Keefe. It was so much different from the truth, she'd been cold, heartless, but that was the only way to keep him safe.

She had too.

As much as she struggled to admit it, or believe it...

As as much as it drove her mind insane asking why, how or when.

She loved him.

Somehow... some way.

She had fallen in love with Keefe Sencen.

And as much as she wanted to tell him, she couldn't.

For now... he had to believe that she wasnt his.

"We have to do lots of tests, to see what Keefe did." Elwin said and Sophie looked towards him.

"Foxfire is starting up in two weeks, I hope you'll be good and ready by than... and hopefully Keefe will too." Elwin said and Sophie nodded, walking over to the window, staring out into the night sky.

"How long will you keep his memories away?" Elwin asked, and Sophie shrugged.

As long as it takes.