1:ELEVEN

▪︎

▪︎

"Vienna. You don't need to baby me," Silva protested as the two of them slowly made their way back into the greenhouse.

"Oh hush old man," Vienna ordered as she tightened her grip around his waist, and held onto the arm wrapped around her shoulders.

"Worth a try," he muttered as the girl carefully lowered him onto the bench.

"Have you eaten yet?" Vienna fussed as she moved around the room, trying to find something edible. She grabbed a random plastic pack of sliced apples from Professor Harvey's desk and sat down next to her father, the fruit held out towards him. "Eat up."

The man eyed the apples warily. "No thanks."

Vienna mockingly pouted at her father. "Do you need me to feed you?" She opened up the plastic packing and held up an apple slice. "Alright. Here comes the choo choo train." She comically wiggled her hand towards him, causing Silva to stare at her with an unimpressed look.

"I'll eat it myself," he muttered as he plucked the apples from the girl and aggressively crunched on a slice. The sound of the door opening caused Vienna to look up, and she found Sky walking through with a slightly concerned expression.

"How bad is it?" The blonde boy questioned as he stood in front of the Silvas, his arms crossed in front of him. Vienna watched as her father sighed at the question. "Is Professor Harvey gonna up your dose of Zanbaq? He said it'll keep your wounds at bay until-"

"Until it can't anymore?" Silva questioned as he rotated his body slightly, the movement causing him to wince.

"I can run the first year spars, and you can take it easy until the Battalion get to the Burned One."

"They've tracked it forty kilometers north of here," Silva revealed with a slight groan.

"But are they gonna-"

"I have every confidence they will complete the mission. They will kill it, the only question is when. The infection is spreading quickly now. When it reaches my heart-"

"How quickly is it spreading?" Vienna questioned as she stood up abruptly and turned towards him. She stared at him with an alarmed expression, but the man just avoided her gaze.

"I don't know. I don't- Not long," he responded as he stared into his lap.

"So what do we do?!" Sky exclaimed.

Silva stood up carefully and wandered towards the boy. "I uh. I've spoken to my seconds, and plans have been put in place for your training. And Dowling is aware of my wishes for your future. Yours and Vienna's."

"Dad, I am not gonna let you die!" Vienna exclaimed with a frown.

"I asked you a question," Sky stated as he stared at the man, who was beginning to fidget slightly.

"And I'm here answering it Sky. Soldiers need to have these conversations with the people that matter. We make a plan. That's what we can do."

"There has to be something else. I've already lost one father. I can't lose another." The blonde boy's voice cracked slightly, and Vienna watched with a sad gaze as tears began to well up in his eyes.

"I'll keep you updated on the battalion's progress." Sky gave a final nod, before walking away from the man and out of the greenhouse.

Vienna carefully wrapped her arms around her father and laid her head against his chest, and felt his arms wrap around her shoulders. "I love you so much Dad," she mumbled, as tears began to prick her eyes at the thought of losing him anytime soon.

"I love you too sweetheart," he responded as he gently placed a kiss against the top of her head. "You know," he began as he pulled away from the girl, his hands resting on her shoulders as he looked at her. "Sky is a great guy. He'd be great for you."

"W-what?" Vienna questioned in shock as she stared at him. "I- Why would you. Huh?"

"Don't play dumb with me Vienna," Silva said with a small laugh. "Don't think I didn't catch that wink during your first training session."

"Well this is awkward. I don't even know if he's interested in me like that. You don't have to worry."

"Worry?" Silva questioned with a small frown. "I've been rooting for you guys ever since you met when you were twelve."

"Dad!" She exclaimed as she went to punch him in the arm, then retracted her arm as she realised she probably shouldn't. "You're supposed to discourage me from boys not encourage a relationship. And say how you'll beat up any boy who comes near me."

"If I remember correctly, you punched Sky in the nose because he didn't let you play sword fight. I don't think I need to beat up anyone. You have that covered."

Vienna gaped her mouth at him. "Okay let's not- let's not tell him that," she mumbled in an embarrassed tone.

"In all seriousness Vienna, I couldn't think of anyone else who deserves to be with you. It could be worse. It could be Riven."

"I hope you know that I'm more likely to string him up in a tree than date him." Vienna pretended to shudder. "Anyway," she checked the time on her watch. "I need to go and find Farah. You better not move a single muscle before I get back," she ordered as he laid across the bench on his back.

"Aye aye Captain."

▪︎☆▪︎

Making up the plot as you go along is so much fun

Thank you guys for 11k btw!!

A x