Prologue

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality."

-Emily Dickinson

The night of May 2, 1998 went down in Wizarding history as the night that Voldemort had finally been defeated

The night of May 2, 1998 went down in Wizarding history as the night that Voldemort had finally been defeated. Numerous brave witches and wizards arrived at Hogwarts that night fighting for everything they believed in, the risk of harm did not prevent any of them from defending the castle from the evil that had befallen it. It was a battle 16 years in the making.

From the moment Harry Potter stepped foot back inside Hogwarts that night, everything had changed. Dumbledore's Army, The Order of the Phoenix, Hogwarts staff, and countless students joined together to fight the evil that had been looming over their heads since the Dark Lord returned in the graveyard during the final task of the Triwizard Tournament. These brave witches and wizards were fueled by hope and determination.

Though many had lost friends and family that day, a part of George Weasley died when he lost his twin brother, Fred. The sight of his brother lying motionless would be burned into his memory forever. Fred's once sparkling and mischievous brown eyes were cold and empty, forever locked onto the ceiling of the Great Hall. That night was what truly broke George.

His siblings and parents tried to comfort him in the moment, but the light inside George went dark. He screamed for his brother while his mother clutched to him, tears streaming down her own face. George heard nothing, not even his own cries and screams. His ears were ringing, his heart was pounding, he felt as if he was going to die right there next to Fred - he wanted to die there next to Fred. Any moment without him wasn't worth living.

"Fred please!" he yelled, throwing himself over his twin's body. He was wailing in pain, he didn't want to go on, he couldn't go on without his brother.

The immediate aftermath of the Battle of Hogwarts was filled with immense grief and sorrow for everyone. What should have been a joyous time, a time of newly found freedom and safety was marred by the memories of the innocent lives lost at the hands of Death Eaters. Even though the sky seemed to brighten and the warmth of summer had returned, many people who were present at the battle left with their own personal clouds hanging over their heads.

Though no one truly lost as much as George Weasley. Without Fred he felt like nothing, he lost the will to live entirely, each day was spent just going through the motions. Things he used to love only brought him pain. Sweets tasted bitter, quidditch bored him, jokes were depressing, nothing could bring him joy. Not after everything was taken from him so suddenly.

-

The funeral was the following weekend and George had not spoken more than ten words to any of his family members in that time.

"Good morning, darling." Molly spoke softly as George had emerged from upstairs that morning.

Ginny, Harry, and Arthur were already sitting at the kitchen table silently. All eyes were on George when he entered the room and sat next to his father, this was the first time he had come down from their... his room.