ch.14

pretty much dead already

    glenn hesitantly obeyed, taking off with the others. beth and patricia soon appeared at my side, surprisingly helping.

    "these things ain't sick. they're not people, they're dead. ain't gonna feel nothing for them. cause all they do, they kill!" shane yelled, pacing around the walkers, shouting like a lunatic.

   "they killed amy. they killed otis. they're gonna kill all of us."

    "shane, shut up!" rick screamed, still leading the walker. "hey, hershel man, let me ask you something. could a living breathing person walk away from this?"

    before i knew it, shane was firing rounds, hitting the walker in the chest. i ducked along with the others, hearing ricks screams and pleads for him to stop.

    "why is it still coming?" shane yelled, firing more rounds. "shane, that's enough." rick pleaded some more.

   "yeah, you're right man. that is enough." shane retorted, walking straight up to the walker, shooting it in the head.

    my eyes flickered to glenn, who looked at me worriedly, before walking to where i was. "what are we gonna do?" i asked, my voice shaky from shane's actions.

    "only watch, who knows what he'd do." glenn whispered, keeping his eyes on shane.

    "enough risking our lives for a little girl who's gone! enough living next to a barn full of things that are trying to kill us. enough!"

    we all watched as shane bolted to the barn door, removing the lock. shouts and bangs rung through the air, making it the only thing you could hear.

   as shane backed up, walkers started to appear, causing me and glenn to step up, protecting what we had left.

    i aimed, firing at the first walker my eyes found, feeling guilty as i pulled the trigger, not wanting to hurt hershel and his family.

    we fired until they were all lifeless on the ground, only hearing the cries from the greene's.

    another small growl appeared, causing our eyes to flicker from the bodies back to the barn. my heart dropped to my stomach seeing, a small skinny body appear from the barn.

    "sophia? sophia!" carol sobbed, running in her direction, only to be caught by daryl, who wrapped his arms around her, holding her back.

    my life turned into slow motion, seeing the little girl i had promised to protect, in the state of the dead.

    i whimpered, almost falling to the ground, but before i could, a hand wrapped around my waist, holding me up.

    glenn hugged my body tightly, muffling my sobs as i cried against his shoulder. the whimpers becoming even louder hearing the gunshot.

    after i was able to calm myself, i lifted my head to glenn, giving him a nod that i was okay.  he kept me close as we watched beth start to react to the death of her mom.

    "shhh. wait. wait" rick pleaded, trying to hold her back, only to be swatted away. the small blonde whimpered, bending down to her moms body.

   my eyes flashed to glenns, giving him a frown before quickly snapping it back to where she was, hearing her screams of terror.

   the walker latched onto beths body, causing rick and the others to jump into action.

    i ran to her, trying to detach the walkers arms from hers, holding her along with maggie when she was free.