CHAPTER •°• twenty four

IT WAS RIGHT AFTER BREAKFAST, on a Wednesday morning and Maggie was running to her dormitory with a piece of paper in her hand. 

She just got another letter from Shackebolt and she didn't think, and would never admit what emotions it caused in her. It was just that… after the letter that she wrote him she would never think that he would write back.

But he did and he did it amazingly fast, even though she finally didn't even send the version that James and Sirius helped her write, but her own, corrected version of the letter.

It was just that… she was too nervous to send the romantic, almost sexual letter that the boys wrote. It was unusual for her, especially that she kept making dick jokes from like fifth year and she never once felt ashamed because of one.

She also was with a lot of boys in a lot of ways and well… none of this made her feel nervous. 

And none of this caused as much excitement as getting a simple reply on her very dumb and silly worded letter.

So that's why she wanted to read the letter before the lessons. She simply knew that if she didn't, she either would read it during the lesson, which would, no doubts, cause interest with whoever was sitting next to her or just think about it for the rest of the day. 

She couldn't take either, so she decided to take a risk of being late for a lesson and go to the dormitory to later also put the letter safely into her coffer.

So, when she finally got to her common room, unlocked the door and ran straight into the dormitory, she opened the letter so rapidly, that she almost tore it in half.

Luckily, she finally didn't and, as she leaned on the closed door to the empty dormitory, she started to read quickly.

Dear Maggie White,
You have no idea how happy I am that you wrote back to me. I honestly didn't expect you to reply and I lost all the hope, so when your letter came I couldn't have been happier. 
See, I never quite thought I would acquire a soulmate, not after everyone else got their soulmate marks and I didn't. Because of that, no matter what's gonna turn out of our acquaintance, I am grateful and excited that I met you.
As for the hardships you pointed out I understand that they may worry you, but as for me, I still would like to try and get to know you better.
I would even suggest a meeting. See, my family lives in London, so I will be visiting them. I could perhaps also meet you then? Let me know what you think about that.
And, finally letting go of that topic, I would like to really get to know you a little bit. What would you think if both of us wrote about two recent, interesting things that happened to us? Or generally two things about ourselves. 
As you can't really answer me and tell me what you think, which I'm sorry about, I will begin.
Firstly, yesterday I had an honour to meet a muggle US president. Can you believe this? I was so excited about that, but in the end it turned out that the president himself was rather boring. As was the whole meeting, actually. However, I found the vice president, Mr Nelson Rockefeller, highly interesting. We spent a lot of time together, while the people that were higher up than me made arrangements. For example, did you know that muggles collect art? But like not in the schools or other public institutions but in like their houses? And I mean art that's not talking portraits of their relatives. Well, they do indeed, Mr Rockefeller told me quite a lot about it and honestly, I'm intrigued. He even offered me a tour of his collection and, perhaps one day, you could join me on that trip.
Secondly, much shorter, because my life is not the most interesting, I will tell you one thing about myself. It's not very rummy or unique, but I really enjoy swimming. While in Hogwarts I would even go to the lake with my friends and swim during the night. It was reckless and irresponsible of us, but I suppose even the Ravenclaws had to have some fun from time to time.
And what about you? You can write me those two things about yourself or something completely else. I won't mind and I will greet any letter from you with joy.
Stay safe,
Kingsley Shacklebolt