C H A P T E R 3 4

E C H O E S of the bursting fireworks rung through the still air

E C H O E S of the bursting fireworks rung through the still air. The reds and yellows colouring the sky. The fake Eiffel tower in the centre of the ground, covered in all kinds of fairy lights. The buzzing atmosphere of the ground, coupled with the large procession of fireworks made the atmosphere so enchanting that it was impossible to take eyes away from the night sky.

On the particular evening, as everyone counted to zero, breaths became ragged. Heartbeats fastened. Life seemed to be changing in the next second.
"ZERO!" everyone around her shouted.
The clock showed 12:00. It was official. The new decade had started with a bang. Full of expectations from everybody's side.

Hoor was mesmerised by the sight infront of her. She had thought that the phool chari they lightened every year was the best thing. Clearly she was wrong. Now seeing the night from a different side made her realise truly how small she was. In the midst of all these people who were happy and talked animatedly, she felt more lonely than she ever had. The feelings she had felt all night becoming magnified ten thousand times.

"Hoor bhabi, ajain chalte hai," Raees called her from behind.
His voice managed to shatter the sticky web of self questioning thoughts that Hoor had been having. She turned around, giving him a slight nod. Falling in step with him and her husband Mustafa.

On the way back, Mustafa and Hoor sat together in the passenger seat. Raees could feel the tension radiating from the backseat of his car. And he could only feel pity for his best friend. Perhaps it was time for his otherwise peaceful friend, to have his first fight. He laughed at the thought of his innocent sister-in-law shouting at his best friend cum brother. Would that not be a sight to see?

"Itni bachain kyun khil rahi hai?" Mustafa asked.
"Kuch nahi bhai, bas younhi," Raees gazed at him from the viewfinder.
"Lagta hai pagal ho gaye ho," he shook his head.
Mustafa, not wanting to repeat the mistakes that he had made earlier, turned to Hoor. He looked at her for a few seconds. She sat in a small space, it seemed as if she had shrunk herself on purpose. Not wanting to touch the luxurious leather seats.

"Hoor ap ko kaisa laga?" He asked her softly.
She turned her head, eyes rimmed red. An indication of the tears that she was stopping. Mustafa had his back resting on the seat, with his legs falling limply on the thick rug of the car.
"Acha tha. Mei nai aisa pehlay kabhi nahi dekha," she passed him a sheepish smile.
Her voice thick, as she controlled herself from crying infront of the two.

The ride back home, was full of silence. With all three having spent their energy, they could not be bothered to speak a single word. Instead their soft and shallow breaths filled the deep silence. Acting as a backdrop to each and everyone's thoughts.

At around 1:30 am, Raees' car rolled into the Kamal garage. He stepped out, helping Mustafa on to his wheel chair. He bid his goodbyes and was about to leave, when Mustafa's voice stopped him.
"Raees!" He shouted.
"Mustafa!" He replied.
"Bohat deir ho gai hai. Ruk jao aaj idhr hi. Subah nashta kar keh chalay jana," Mustafa invited him in.
"Nahi bhai I don't wish to impose," he replied.
"Its not imposing. Chup chap chalo andar!" Mustafa said sternly.
Leaving Raees no choice but to follow him in.