𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆 𝗼𝗻𝗲

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

I wasn't looking at the stars.

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

It's the next day, and Ben and I are on our way back from the maze, darting past the blades and into the main section. I had another vision in the maze this morning, but surprisingly, Ben knew exactly what to do. He just sat there next to me, our shoulders touching so that I had something that I could focus on that was real. Ben and I aren't close enough for him to feel comfortable talking to me while it happened, but I didn't mind. The fact that he didn't just take off was enough for me.

We're late coming back again, no thanks to me, and Ben and I are running faster and faster down the corridors. We've got a fifteen minute journey to run in ten. We pick up the speed, our legs aching, chests heaving, but we don't stop, instead powering on towards the wall. We're going to make it. We aim to reach wall ten minutes before closing time, so we're guaranteed to get back on time.

"Listen, Minho was talkin' to me, and we both agreed that you'd be a great Keeper of Map-makers," Ben say between pants and we dart through the maze, almost slipping on the stone.

"Wait, really?" I choke out.

"No, I'm just making it up — of course, ya shank," he says, slowing down slightly. I roll my eyes and grip his shirt, pulling him after me, sweat dripping down my forehead. He groans, stumbling after me.

We manage to make the journey right on time, deciding to slow down to a jog for the last five minutes. Ben needs it — he's practically dead. I feel bad for delaying us, but Ben was adamant that I shouldn't feel bad because it's the creators that are doing this to me. I don't know what rumours have been circulating the Glade at the moment, but I honestly don't know if it's the creators doing this to me, or if it's just my brain. The thing is about these visions, is that they're so obscure — but I feel like I've seen them before.

The vision I had today wasn't like the others, and I know I'll have to explain it to Alby at some point or another. The Grievers weren't in the maze. They were in tubes of florescent turquoise water and I can't help but think that it's not a vision. I feel like it's a memory.

Ben coughs, snapping me out of my thoughts. "You're the best at memorising the place, and you've only been workin' a week and you already know as much as us. You've organised the Map Room better than we ever have and, I probably shouldn't be tellin' you this, but Minho agrees that you do a better job of it than he does. He's Keeper of Runners and Map-makers, and wants to give you the second job."

It takes me a minute to process this information as I continue to jog down the length of the maze. A Keeper. Of the Map-makers. A grin finds its way into my face. I finally could get a say in the things that happen here. The thought makes me want to squeal a little bit. "That's great," I say eventually, trying to play off the fact that I'm mentally jumping up and down.

"Alright, shanks!" Minho's voice calls from the other side of the corridor. In all my excitment, I'd completely stopped paying attention to where we're going, and I realise we're in the main branch. One right turn and we're back in the Glade. Minho's silhouette runs closer to us, and Ben smirks at him.

"We were just talking about ya," Ben calls.

"I swear if you told her," Minho threatens as he nears us, his erratic breath resounding around the walls. Minho's just as tired as we are, and I can't help but wonder what held him up. Usually, he's much faster than Ben and I.