Chapter 25

Sorry it's so shorrt, I just wanted this one out there(: XoXo,

Fan, Comment, Vote, Smile, Believe <33

_______________________________________________________________________

 Cain's P.o.v.

 "Pretty soon, Kitty would have to die."

 I watched Kat's face carefully. It showed confusion, fear, then hate, I mean like flat out loathing. The room was deathly quiet, Casey's words still hung in the air. I was a few feet behind Kat, taking everything in. 

  A light passed through Kat's eyes, like she was realizing something. She glanced at me and Jake, looking frightened. She bit her lip and bent down, patting Casey's hand. Then without another word, she shot up the stairs.

 "Kat!" Casey called, starting to stand up. Her body swayed for a second before she hit the couch again. Her eyelids fluttered open and she looked at me pointedly, telling me with her eyes to go after Kat.

  I sprinted up the stairs, taking them three at a time. I threw doors open until I found Kat, standing in the middle of my room. She was faced away from me, looking out the window. Her arms were wrapped around her torso and she shook slightly. I took a step towards her.

  "Don't." Her voice was cold, but it cracked as well.

 Kat turned around to face me and I nearly had a heart attack. She was crying. There had only been one time when I'd seen her cry, and that was the first night she was here. A few hours ago and in the gym, there were only tear-tracks on her face - letting me know she HAD cried.

  Tears leaked down her bruised face, making her look like a fallen angel. Stop! I scolded myself, she's crying and you're thinking about how good she looks.

 "Hey," I said softly, bringing a hand up to brush away the tears. Her face was hot under my fingertips, only streaks of cool from the tears.

 "Don't cry."

 She looked up at me from her lashes, gray eyes big. She looked so vulnerable, like her guard had dropped completely. The sight left me breathless. All I had to do was lean down and -No. I locked my teeth against the thought. Kat stepped away from my hand and wrapped her arms tighter around her middle, like she was holding herself together.

 She looked at me again, still crying. My blood boiled and I felt a sudden need to shoot her dad in the face, regardless of the law. How dare he threaten to kill her! Not even to her face, but to her young sister.

 "I'm sorry," She breathed.

 I blinked back in surprise and gazed at her curiously. She stared at the floor. Just as I was about to speak, she said something else.

 "It's my fault that you and Jake are in danger."

What?! That's what she's crying about?! Not because she just got a death threat, or because she was almost raped, but because she was scared for us?

 "What?!" I asked, enraged.

"You're not crying because your father told you he was going to KILL you, but because me or Jake could get injured?! What are you thinking?" I only realized I was yelling when Kat flinched.

I took a few deep breaths and spoke again, smiling slightly.

 "You silly girl." I teased, voice light.

 I walked closer, ignoring her warnings and empty threats. I wrapped my arms tightly around her, smiling into her hair. She froze and I could tell she was fighting with herself. Apparently she lost, because her arms wound around me in return.

  I smiled wider at her embrace.

"What are we gonna do?" Kat whispered in my ear, sounding miserable. I pulled back and walked us to the bed, sitting close to her.

 "We have to get the police." I said, patting her back.

  I knew she wanted them to stay out of it for as long as possible. Since her and Casey were underage, they would be put into foster care and separated. Not to mention, that the person would probably live someone else, meaning I wouldn't get to see Kat. Ever.

She gave a bitter laugh.

 "Yeah, and tell them what? 'Our dad is an insane psychopath who hides in the forest and has probably moved out of our house by now. Do we have proof? Well, I have bruises on my face and a bottle of cortisone.' They'll totally rush to find him."

  She did have a point. I ran a hand through my black hair and closed my eyes. What were we gonna do? I light went off in my head but, I kept my mouth shut. Maybe if we could get her mom...No. She's gone! Besides, there's probably a million women with the same name.

 If I could get - Something hit my arm.

 I jumped a little, looking down. Kat's head was against my arm, body slumped over. I was startled for a moment, until she took a deep breath, telling me she was asleep. I observed her closely, a small smile lifting my lips at her peaceful face. The worry lines disappeared, leaving a beautiful calm in it's place.

  I moved her body, laying it down on my bed, tucking her in under the covers on this cold night. I got under them next to her and she pulled herself closer. I draped an arm across her waist, promising myself that all the drama could wait 'til tomorrow.

 Just until tomorrow. ~