3. Silver Dawn

They were incredibly fast.

She'd give them that.

Angelina had only taken five steps when the first sounds of paws hitting mulch speared through the air as if a pistol had been blasted. The silence shattered in that moment, forcing birds from their peaceful perches within the trees.

Angelina drew to a pause as three wolves lunged from a gap in the tree line, perfectly landing a few metres from where she stood.

Her eyes trained on the biggest of the three, the only male among the wolves. His coat was a rustic deep maroon.

She felt compelled to pet him.

Oh Goddess, she was being unreasonable.

There was no doubt she would get her finger bitten.

Her heart thundered in her chest. She was sure they could hear it and taste the genuine fear she couldn't shield completely. It was difficult considering she was setting herself as bait to a perilous Pack.

People would consider it a fool's mission to infiltrate the Silver Dawn.

The wolves quietly transformed into their human forms.

For a second, she was surprised by the inky black suits that immediately wrapped around their bodies to keep their bare skin hidden from the elements. Now that was a neat trick. There was no doubt a witch had helped with that.

When shifters changed forms, clothes were always inevitably destroyed from the transition.

Some wolves had piles of clothes dotted through the Pack for convenient purposes when they needed to be in their human forms and covered.

While she had been perched up on the tree, she had absently noted that there hadn't been a single stitch of clothing scattered at the foot of tree trunks from her earlier scan of the Pack.

Now she knew they had no need for it.

The three shifters regarded her with solemn expressions. They looked more annoyed by her presence than angry.

"How did you get in?" The man- a beefy guy with large, muscled limbs and storm cloud eyes demanded.

His voice sent the birds into a startling quiet. Not even the trees swayed.

The woman on his left had bright, fiery hair- the shade of an untouched ruby stone. Her feline eyes took her in, studying her like an intriguing museum piece. She took a deep inhale, smirking. "You smell almost human, but you're clearly not." Her voice was silk. Pure seduction.

"You're a shifter." The quiet female muttered. She sported a sharp jet-black bob.

Angelina braced herself, wondering if she'd somehow identify that Angelina had association with the Blue River Pack.

When she didn't say more, Angelina inwardly sighed in relief.

She shifted on her feet, finding a better grip on the ground. Bob Hair immediately saw the little shuffle, and although her expression remained stoic, there was a flare of amusement in her expression.

"I think Mason will have fun with her." Red Hair said, more to herself than anyone else.

"He'll destroy her Riley."

Red Hair was Riley according to Bob Hair.

"Oooh goodie." Riley practically shivered as if pleased by the concept.