thirty one

SEPTEMBER 24, 1991. NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK.

SEPTEMBER TWENTY-FOURTH, NINETEEN NINETY-ONE. Evie's first day back at Rolling Stone and perhaps more excitingly, the boy's record release day. In Evie's lunch break at the offices, she and Henry walk down to the nearest music shop to pick up some copies of Nevermind. She decides to grab the record, cassette, and CD because she is so excited that she finally can. Henry also grabs himself a CD as a fan of Nirvana which Evie thinks is sweet and kind of cool. She finds it funny that she has grown so close to someone who isn't involved in the part of her life which includes Dave, Kurt, and Krist.

"Big fan?" the guy behind the counter asks and Evie smirks, knowing what it feels like to be in that position, feeling an obligation to say something, anything, about the customer's choices.

"Yeah, huge fan," she smiles.

"Well, you're not the only one. We've sold out of half our stock already today," the man says and Evie feels as though you can see the pride exuding from her body.

"Really?" She says in disbelief.

"Yeah. I mean I'm not surprised, that single is great. They're playing a couple of shows this weekend I think," he says and Evie nods as if this is news to her.

"Oh, well I better try and see them," she says.

"A buddy of mine saw them in LA and said they put on a good live show," the guy continues as he rings up Henry's item.

"Well, thanks for letting me know. You have a good day," Evie tells him before she and Henry leave the store.

They get out onto the street and Evie is still smiling.

"Sounds like they're getting pretty popular," Henry notes.

"Seems like it," Evie agrees.

"I've heard the single a few times on the radio. It's really good," Henry says.

"You think?" Evie asks, happy to hear an unbiased opinion even though she is aware that objectively, it is a fucking fantastic song.

"Yeah, it's great. I'd be stoked to get to see them this weekend," Henry says.

"Yeah? Well come with me, it'll be great for you to meet the guys," Evie smiles, excited by the thought of Henry meeting her closest friends. Henry is the type of guy who makes good first impressions with anyone and she knows they will love him.

When they get back to the office they go back to where they were working earlier which is sadly not together this time around. Evie has been put with James Henke, writer, and editor, and Henry is paired with Mark Seliger one of the photographers.

When she arrives back to work on more stuff with Jim, as he insists on being called, she can sense the excited look on his face.

"Evie, great, you're back," he claps his hands together.

"Yes I am," she says positively.

"Look, I'm about to head to the Upper East Side to get a second interview for a possible cover piece I'm doing, you're going to come and assist me," he states.

"Okay, great," Evie says, shocked by the information but trying to keep her composure. Already she is getting a taste of what it would feel like to be working on a cover piece. Again, she can't believe that this is her life.

Jim grabs some folders as well as a tape recorder and shoves them into a leather satchel which he swings confidently over his arm which Evie assumes he has done countless times. He leads Evie downstairs and explains that they're going to have to get a taxi.