🌞Chapter 19🌻

🌞🌻

He heard someone calling his name and he opened his heavy eyelids.

Moonlight streamed into the room. Mew was lifting Gulf in his arms.

"We're leaving," Mew said. "Get dressed."

Gulf looked at the clock on the night stand and saw that it was early one in the morning. Where could they possibly be going this late at night?

He didn't ask. He didn't care. Resistance wouldn't get him anywhere. In the end, he would have to obey Mew's orders.

When he got out of bed, Mew---in a great rush---began helping him change. He took off his night clothes in the dark and, once Mew had finished dressing him in the clothes he'd prepared, Gulf understood. It was an abaya, women's clothing.

"Why do I have to wear this?" he demanded. Even if he had lost the willng to fight back, there will some things he wouldn't accept. "I don't want to."

He started to take off the abaya, but Mew caught hold of his hand. Mew's facr was grim. "We don't have time for questions. If you're opposed to it, I'll have to ask other people for help."

Mew was threatening to have other people strip Gulf naked if he didn't behave. He had no choice in the matter.

Rather than resisting, he clamped his mouth shut. If Mew was just going to ignore everything he said, there was no point in arguing. He obeyed in silence.

Once they'd covered his head with a hijab, hiding everything but his eyes, Mew hurried out of the room with him. A jeep was waiting for them in the driveway. He was hurried into the back seat and, as he slid into place, the jeep began to pull quietly away. He threw a sidelong glance at the spray from a fountain in the garden, glittering in the light of the headlights as the jeep headed straight for the main gate.

The gatekeeper opened it swiftly. The guards gave one last gesture of respect to the jeep carrying Mew and Gulf. Nothing more impeded the jeep as it ran through the midnight desert.

"I'm sure there are things you want to ask," Mew said once they were out of the palace. "Don't let the driver bother you. He'll never speak about what he sees or hears," he added, offering Gulf this chance to question him without so much as a glance in his direction.

There's saying in Arabic: "man saqata salim" meaning "there is safety in silence." All of the people employed in Mew's palace, including the driver, had taken "man saqata salim" to heart

Of course there were things Gulf wanted to ask about, like where were they going? And why? But he remained silent. Even if he knew those things, he wouldn't be able to do anything about any of it.

"We're going to Madina," Mew said, his voice hard.

To Madina.

This unexpected answer only raised more questions. Hadn't Mew taken Gulf to his palace on Saria so that no one would find out about him? How would Mew explain things if his family and aides found out about Gulf once they'd reached Madina? On the off chance that Gulf's abduction became public, Mew would no longer be able to deal with the scandal in private.

He had no idea what Mew was thinking.

TBC