* Chapter Twenty-Two *

[Tommys POV]

Wilbur an I had made our way downstairs so we could join the others. Sam was setting out the food while Fundy, Foolish and Big Q were talking. I quickly picked up Rags and ran into the dining room, I sat on my chair and hid Rags next to my feet. There was a large cloth covering the wooden table so nobody could see him. I was sat between Quackity and Wilbur...

"Sunday's Dinner!" Fundy said with excitement as Sam placed the food in front of us. 

I felt a nudge on my knee and looked down, Rags's nose was lifting up the table cloth and sniffing around for food. I poked Wilbur's leg and pointed at the dog, he let out a small giggle before turning his head so he could stop. 

"I invited Foolish around since he just brought you back alive!" Sam smiled and looked at me, I was still trying to hold in a laugh...

"Y-Yeah, Thanks Foolish", I looked up at the roof so i could focus on anything but the dog who's whiskers were tickling my legs

Sam looked confused, I looked at Wilbur who was also holding in a laugh... He thought it must have been some weird inside joke and started eating. I picked up a piece of chicken and pretended to eat it, instead I dropped it on the leather hair in front of Rags's nose. Wilbur looked over and started laughing loudly which made me join in. The dogs tongue was trying to pick up the chicken, but he kept dropping it.

"What are you guys laughing at?" Big Q started to giggle in confusion 

I tried to come up with an excuse but I couldn't stop laughing. Wilbur had told them something but I spaced out, all i could think about was the dog. We stopped laughing and started eating again, Wilbur and I were secretly feeding the dog our food for a while until we couldn't find him. Foolish was eating his food when the dog had dug his nose up to his knees. He gave widened his eyes and looked at me, I brushed my hair back and shook my head slightly. I think Quackity must have saw because he looked in my direction and raised an eyebrow. I rolled my eyes and started eating again, we all started having a conversation about how I was alive again, while me, Wilbur and now Foolish were all feeding the dog our food until Fundy started speaking...

"You know that howl we heard earlier?" He said

I nodded my head and stuck my hands under the table so the dog came over to me, I stroked his head. Wilbur and Foolish looked worried while I was still quite relaxed, I planned out what I was going to do if he asked questions...

"Have you ever seen a wild dog?" Fundy asked 

"Yeah, I'm looking at one right now", I said while smiling. Everyone started laughing and Fundy rolled his eyes

"Well, they are really dangerous Tommy, they can turn on you at any time", He added 

"Why are you telling me this?" I raised an eyebrow and lied back in my chair 

"Because you left for a while in the woods, and even if you didn't see a dog it will remember your scent, and if you go back there it might attack you..." 

I looked at Wilbur then back at Fundy, What was I supposed to say? Before I said anything Quackity interrupted, "I'm sure Tommy will be fine! I doubt a dog is going to attack him, unless you go savage" 

"Don't say I didn't warn you..." He rolled his eyes and held a fork towards my eyes 

Sam laughed and picked up everyone's plates, "I guess I've gotta put these away in case the savage dog wants to come join us for dinner"

After a while everyone had stood up to leave the room, I managed to take my dog upstairs in secret away from everyone else. Foolish was staying the night and was talking to everyone else downstairs. I placed Rags on the bed and sat on the floor in front of him, He lied down so we could make eye contact and I smiled. "Wanna hear a song buddy?"
I leaned across the room and picked up the dusty guitar in the corner of the room... 
"This was Wilbur guitar!" I said with a smile, I remembered watching Phil send the sword into his stomach and the blood stain his shirt... he turned and smiled... at me... 
I shook my head and brushed the dust off the guitar... 

                                                               [Before you go - Lewis Capaldi]

                                                       [Recommend you play it while reading]

I took a deep breath, and started strumming the guitar, I hand't played it in a while...

"I fell by the wayside, like everyone else
I hate you, I hate you, I hate you 
But I was just kidding myself 
Our every moment, I start to replace 
'Cause now that they're gone
All I hear are the words that i needed to say"

I felt the tears threaten to fall, I hated that I couldn't save Wilbur...

"When your hurt under the surface
Like troubled water running cold
Well, time can heal but this won't"

Before I knew it the tears were streaming down my face, Rags sat up on the bed and looked down at me 

"So, before you go
Was there something I could have said
To make your heart beat better?
If only I had know you had the storm to weather
So before you go
Was there something I could have said
To make it all stop hurting?
It kills me how your mind can make you feel so worthless 
So before you go..."

I stopped playing and carefully dropped the guitar, I knew Wilbur was still there and never leave me... But I hated myself for not being there for him... I could have helped him, That could have been me, but instead It was Wilbur... I tears were rapidly falling from my eyes and down my cheeks, I let out a loud sob and held my head in my hands. As soon as I started crying Rags ran over and snuggled into me. 
I heard my door open but I didn't pay attention... I just hugged Rags... 
Wilbur ran over and said how proud he was of me, He said how much he loved the song I played and how much I meant to him. Quackity shut the door quickly and kneeled down next to us...
There was silence until I lifted my head and made eye contact with Quackity. Rags placed his soft fluffy paws on my knees and looked over my legs at Big Q.
I saw Wilbur's eyes fill with tears as he smiled at me... I smiled back 

Quackity looked at Rags for a moment then looked back at me...