ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪx

CHAPTER SIXsᴀʏ ɪᴛ ʟɪᴋᴇ ɪᴛ ɪs

CHAPTER SIX
sᴀʏ ɪᴛ ʟɪᴋᴇ ɪᴛ ɪs

The familiar hum of the engine buzzed up Rosalie's spine, merging with the sound of the rain pattering against the tinted windows.  The rain had not stopped for days, and in spite of that, Rose found herself wishing for sun, even the blaring, dangerous type. At least then they could all stay in the house, faking a hiking trip. She wished that for once it would not be a lie. She wished that Carlisle would take them wild camping somewhere they could shine as brightly as diamonds and not care about the people that stalked the woods. Maybe a bit of sun could clear Edward's head too.

Her long fingers wrapped around the steering wheel of her Mercedes, gripping it tightly. Emmett had taken the passenger seat and Alice sat in the back with Jasper, watching the raindrops snake across the glass, no doubt stuck in the images of the future as if she was watching a film. Those images held the face of Bella Swan, Rosalie knew. The human had been the subject of many thoughts and conversations the past week. Alice turned her head, meeting Rosalie's gaze in the mirror.

With ease and precision, Rosalie swung the car through the main entrance to Forks high school- a small, flat road with a meagre, brown sign. That morning, she was feeling petty. Emmett laughed as she stopped in Edward's space, hiding his face in an attempt not to encourage her actions. Jasper and Alice had already stepped from the car, arms wrapped around each other as they stalked toward the empty school.

Despite the bleak skies and heavy rain, Rosalie pulled her sunglasses down from where they rested on top of her hair. Her eyes were darker this morning- a deep, onyx, like slippery, spilt ink or a raven's feather. She looked like she was running from the bad end of a hangover, but Rosalie didn't care. She pulled her bag over her shoulder, hearing the distinct crackle of her leather jacket beneath the weight of her books.

The whole morning had passed by the time the rest of the Cullens saw Edward. As if sensing Rosalie's remaining anger, he'd avoided their table, earning speculative looks from the other juniors. For a moment, she felt smug, a smirk pulling at the edges of her dark lips. But then Bella Swan appeared by his side, staring at the tray that was piled with food.

With her perfect hearing, Rosalie could hear every part of their conversation. It was hard not to. She could practically feel the heat of Bella's burning cheeks as she flirted with disaster. Rosalie was perfectly still. Inhumanly still. Like a greek statue, as beautiful as the golden goddesses that were worshipped. Edward had tipped the scales of her patience. This was the peak of her anger, that raging feeling that had been building for weeks, fuel being added to the fire each evening until her pale skin sizzled.

"Easy, Rose. Calm down," Emmett said, trying hard not to roll his eyes.

"Don't tell me to be calm." Rosalie's eyes snapped to Alice and her unimpressed expression. "How could he? How could he do this to us?"