01. Cold and Empty

June 1998

June 1998

The Burrow, once bustling and warm, felt increasingly cold and empty lately which hurt Ron the most. He thought his family should be there and he was frustrated with all of them. It had only been a month and a half since Fred's death and he felt like everyone had completely abandoned his mum and George, leaving them to grieve on their own.

After frequent complaints to Hermione, she agreed to take a break from their travels to Australia for a while. They had been attempting to recover her parent's memories for the last week and they felt like they had been making some good progress, so it made Ron feel incredibly guilty when Hermione offered to return home with him.

She had assured him countless times that she was fine to return to England for now, "It's important to be with your family, Ron. I can see how guilty you've felt since we left. We can come back to Australia soon, let's go home." Ron really admired her, she was incredibly selfless and compassionate.

The couple had arrived at The Burrow the previous evening. Molly cried tears of joy and pulled them both into suffocating hugs when they unexpectedly entered the front door. Hermione felt it was incredibly rude of Ron to not send an owl letting them know they would be visiting, but he brushed her off, he knew his mother wouldn't mind.

"You see how happy she is? Sending an owl would've ruined the surprise wouldn't it?" Ron said nudging Hermione with his shoulder as she rolled her eyes at him in response.

Though it was just Molly, Arthur, George, Hermione, and Ron in the house, Molly cooked a large meal for them as if it was a family Christmas. Their return to The Burrow had sparked a sense of joy inside Molly. They sat around the table late into the evening sharing some heartwarming stories, though George mostly listened rather than spoke. Things started to feel a little more normal again, even if it was only for a moment.

Hermione was the first one awake the next morning, it was a beautiful and warm Sunday. In the past Molly would have been the first one to rise, but she had grown used to sleeping in late recently. For years she was constantly putting all her energy into caring for everyone in the house, but now they all felt that she deserved the extra rest so there were never any complaints about not waking up to breakfast and a hot pot of tea.

Hermione felt as if the air inside the home was especially heavy recently and was suffocating all of them, so she opened the window to let some fresh air in before boiling water for her tea. She leaned against the counter behind her and closed her eyes, the only sounds in the kitchen were the sounds of birds chirping outside the window and the water boiling inside the kettle. Hearing The Burrow be so silent and calm was eerie to her, it certainly had changed.

She grabbed three mugs out of the cabinet and set them on the counter for the others in the house before taking one for herself. She poured the water into her mug and let the tea steep in the silence of the kitchen.