Chapter 31

"What type of burger? Would you like onions? Would you like a fry or a drink? Here or to go? Total. Money. Here's your change. Have a nice day. Boom. Boom. Boom. Got it?"

I stare blankly at the cash register that Marcus is leaning against in his gray and blue uniform. Our shirts are basically the same but he wears a baseball hat while I sport a visor with our company logo on it.

When I announced that I was looking for a job, Marcus let me know that he was good friends with the manager at M-Burger and got me the job without so much as an interview. He only works here about once a week but, for some reason, they decided that he was the best person to train me.

I've now realized that the reason behind this and why I was hired so easily is their severe understaffing. There's a line starting to form to the door and Marcus and I are the only ones here.

"So how about when they pay with a credit card?" I ask.

"Press tender then credit. Then let them swipe the card there." He points to a dusty pin pad.

"Okay. Then what about-"

"Don't worry about it, Amelia. Here, take this first order. I'll watch."

The first customer in line is a middle-aged man who has been waiting for a good five minutes now. He's practically steaming by the time I beckon him to the register.

"Hi, how are you today?" I read off the script Marcus points at.

"Cheeseburger," the customer says, reaching for his wallet.

"Oh. Okay." I click the cheeseburger button. "Would you like onions on that?"

"Yes."

"Would you like fries with that?"

"Yes."

"Would you like a drink with that?"

"Yes."

As I add the items, I wonder why he didn't just order them all in the first place.

"Okay, so your total will be-"

"For here or to go," Marcus whispers into my ear. It tickles my neck and I whack him away.

"Will that be for here or to go?" I ask.

"To go."

"Okay, your total will be $7.22 please."

As I calculate the change, Marcus applauds loudly for me from the side, clearly unbothered by the growing line of customers.

"Look at that, Amelia. You're a natural."

"Shouldn't you be taking orders too?" I ask.

He peers at the line and shrugs.

"Marcus!"

"Fine," he says lazily. "Let me know if you need help."

As I turn back to my cash register, I know that Marcus is the last person on earth I will ever ask for help.