[27; let me explain]

[Monoma's POV]:

<< 5 years ago:

"What's wrong with that guy?"

"I don't know, but stay away from him. My mom told me he's not 'all there' in the head."

Monoma scoffed, his bottom lip curling in distaste. It seemed as though today, like every other day, he found himself being ridiculed by the lesser masses. Presumptuous it may have been, for a ten year-old boy, but he was almost certain that the majority of his classmates—if not all—were a bunch of uneducated buffoons. It was the only plausible explanation as to why they spoke about him the way they did, and kept their distance from him. It couldn't have been his personality. He was nothing if not pleasant, though perhaps his intelligence was a bit daunting.

Yeah, that had to have been it.

Monoma smiled inwardly, feeling a little pleased with himself in spite of the other children that were furrowing their brows in his direction. He didn't mind if he didn't have many "friends", or whatnot, especially if they were only going to drag him down with their stupidity. The fact that he was always playing by himself at lunch wasn't a big deal, either. Yeah. It was just fine.

"...You kind of scare the other kids away, huh?"

The blonde frowned, cocking his head to the side to find himself looking down at a girl with [h/c] hair and curious eyes. He spent a few moments pursing his lips, but eventually was able to remember who she was. [Name]—that's what you went by.

"What exactly do you mean by that?" Monoma crinkled his nose, not appreciating your condescending done. You merely shrugged your little shoulders and grinned.

"Well, I've never really seen you hang out with anyone during breaks. You're always alone, but I can sort of understand why. The others are pretty mean to you, and they always talk behind your back."

He rolled his eyes. "I don't care about all that."

"You don't?"

"No. My family's made it clear to me that people only behave that way when they're jealous, so it just means that they wish they could be like me."

You batted your lashes; it looked as though you were glossing over what to say next. Eventually, you managed a small smile.

"That's cool that you don't get upset, even when they're not nice to you. I wish I could be like that."

"Like what?"

"Like that." You gestured wildly to his entire body, and Monoma had to bite down on his lip to stifle his laughter. "The way you don't care, even when you're all alone."

He winced. Somehow, that statement stung a little bit more than he'd expected, although it was clear by the innocent smile on your lips that you hadn't been trying to offend him. He didn't know too much about you—rather, about any of his classmates—but you always seemed to be smiling, even in times when it felt as though you shouldn't be. You were able to put up with some of the most infamous rascals in the class, and Monoma couldn't help but admire your patience.

"So you don't really have any friends, do you?" You were still smiling, and Monoma found himself bobbing his head inadvertently. Your cheeks lit up. "Will you be my friend, then? I know you said you don't really care, but one can't hurt, right?"

"Uhh..."

His blue eyes flickered with confusion, but some force of nature made him nod his head again nonetheless. Maybe he was reading into things too much, but the way you looked at him was different from the other children. There was no judgment in your eyes; no malice, or fabrication. It was probably the first time he'd ever had a full-on conversation with you, but he was already sure of it—