02. The Art of Starting Over

"Oh, Ron what a lovely idea!" Molly exclaimed at the news that he and Hermione would be taking George to the store that afternoon

"Oh, Ron what a lovely idea!" Molly exclaimed at the news that he and Hermione would be taking George to the store that afternoon. She grabbed the ginger boy's head, giving him several kisses all over his face.

"Mum, please..." he groaned, trying his best to pull away from his overbearing mother while Hermione giggled behind him.

She released him and gave him a warm smile, which he returned happily. Though Ron acted like he was annoyed by his mother, he secretly really appreciated how loving she was especially as he got older.

Molly had been absolutely thrilled at the idea of them visiting the store and even though she'd be on her own in The Burrow for a majority of the day, the thought of being alone didn't concern her at all for the first time in a month. George agreeing to go back to the store gave her a bit of hope that he would be back to his old self eventually. Not immediately, she knew that, but eventually.

"If Charlie is there, do tell him to come to dinner would you? He's always flying back to Romania right after work, he never rests." Molly pleaded with Ron as they were about to head out the door.

"Sure, mum." Ron gave Molly a reassuring smile before turning to Hermione, "Any sign of him coming down yet?"

Hermione shook her head, "I haven't seen him since breakfast."

Ron let out a sigh, "I'll get him."

He climbed the stairs up to George's room. Ron remembered how loud that room had once been only a few years ago when Fred and George were in there inventing everything that would one day be sold in the shop. Now it stood completely silent with one half of the duo sulking inside. The memory gave Ron a painful feeling in his chest and he wondered how long it would be before the happy memories he had of his brother would stop hurting.

Ron knocked on the door, "George, you ready?"

There was no response. Ron ran a hand through his hair and exhaled, he was never good at this emotional stuff.

On the other side of the door George laid on his bed staring at the ceiling. This is how George had been spending most of his time lately. Being around his family was exhausting and looking around his childhood room and seeing Fred's items was depressing, so at the ceiling his eyes stayed.

Another knock came to the door a few moments later, "Come on mate, I'm sure Verity and Charlie will be glad to see you."

Ron heard footsteps approach the door and George emerged, refusing to acknowledge Ron's presence. Ron took a step back to let his brother exit the room while giving him a reassuring pat on the back. The two boys walked down the stairs to the entrance of the Burrow, George walking in front of Ron. When they reached the bottom they saw Hermione already standing by the door eager to get going.

She clapped her hands together when she saw them, "Ready then?" she said with a warm smile.

George rolled his eyes, "This is the most excited I've ever seen you to go and be around such mischief, Granger. It feels like only yesterday that you threatened us with detentions for our pranks you know."