9 | orphic

orphic (adj.)

mysterious and entrancing; beyond ordinary understanding

* * *

THE next Friday, we got to school early to meet up with everyone. Ethan led me through the halls, bringing me to where Aubrey and Ben were waiting.

Aubrey and Ethan shared an extremely enthusiastic greeting. The way she jumped him in the hallway was borderline indecent. And nobody in the crowded hallway even batted an eye. I was starting to think that people expected it from those two.

Ben turned to me, wiggling his eyebrows and puckering his lips. He looked like a clown.

"What's up with your face?"

"I'm waiting for my kiss, duh." He motioned to his waiting lips. "Aubrey and Ethan are making out, so we might as well do it, too."

"I'm not about to contract whatever disease you have," I retorted. "I've heard you get around a lot. No offense," I tacked on, realizing that might have been offensive.

"Suit yourself. Plenty of other ladies would die to kiss these lips."

"Careful, Ben. Your ego is showing," I deadpanned, trying my best to keep my face devoid of emotion.

He made a show of rolling his eyes before cracking a smile.

I cleared my throat to get Aubrey and Ethan's attention. He slowly let go of her and lowered her to the ground. Aubrey still clung to his hand, though.

"Yeah?" Aubrey said after catching her breath. Her cheeks were flushed.

"Are you done with the lovefest? It's too early for that shit," Ben complained.

"Remember that time I asked for your opinion?" He opened his mouth to answer, but she stopped him. "Me neither."

Ethan snorted, earning a glare from Ben.

"You're feisty today," Ben remarked. "I would have expected this from Delaney, but Aubrey? No fucking way. What gives?"

"Shut up. Annie was throwing up all night, and guess who cleaned it up?" she smiled wryly, pointing her thumbs at herself. "I'm tired and don't have the energy to give a fuck about what I say. I just need my coffee," she sighed. "And, the idiot who is supposed to bring me coffee isn't here. So, Benjamin, you wanna go? I'll fight you right here."

Eyes avoiding Aubrey's, Ben shifted his weight. "Uh, no thanks."

Eli's figure caught my eye from across the hall. He was surrounded by a group of guys, the mysterious girlfriend nowhere in sight. As if he felt my gaze, he looked over at me and made his way over, two coffees and his phone in hand.

"Sup," he nodded, his eyes not-so-subtly skimming over my body. Our eyes briefly connected before I glanced away, feeling disgusted with both of us. He had a lot of nerve looking at me like that, especially since he had a girlfriend.

He offered one of the coffees to Aubrey. "Here you go."

She eagerly snatched it and drank half of it in one sip. "Thank you," she said, taking another generous gulp. "I'll Venmo you later."

"No need to. You pay for my shit all the time," he replied. "Where's D, by the way?"

Aubrey sighed loudly, "She's coming in late."

"Again?" He turned to her and raised his eyebrows.

She nodded her head, a strained smile on her lips.