4.4 the first task

Harry's pov ϟ

6:53 pm

I kept watching the clock, waiting for it to hit 7:00pm.

"Harry, focus!" Hermione said as she grabbed my arm. "The first task is tomorrow and you still need to practice the summoning spell."

"Hermione, I know, okay! I'm probably more stressed than you!" I exclaimed as I tried to summon the firebolt again.

"It just doesn't work!" I sat down frustrated, my head in my hands.

"Did Professor Moody mention anything about what strategies Fleur, Krum, or Cedric are planning on using?" Hermione asked as she sat next to me.

"No." I thought back to my conversation with Moody last week. "He just told me to play to my strengths and that they would too."

"Let's just take a break," Hermione sighed as she stood up. "I need to go pick up my extra-credit papers from Professor Sprout anyways."

"Alright, meet back here in ten?" I asked, standing up. "I'm going to get Y/N from her detention with McGonagall."

She nodded curtly before leaving the room.

"Hermione?"

"Yes?" She turned around.

"Thank you. I mean, for helping me with this. I'm sorry for getting mad at you, it's not your fault."

Hermione smiled slightly before leaving shaking her head playfully. I pocketed my wand and left for the classroom. Y/N has been in detention at least three times every week for jinxing students who were talking badly behind my back. I hated that she was always in detention, but was happy that at least one person stood up for me. She was the only person I really had.

I turned the corner towards McGonagall's office and bumped into Cho Chang.

"Oh, Harry!"

"Oh. Hello, Cho," I replied before attempting to walk around her. She grabbed my hand before I could walk away.

"Harry, I was wondering if you wanted to study with me in the library. The day after tomorrow maybe, since you have the first task?"

"Uh, sorry. I'm already scheduled to do that with Y/N," I lied as I tried to wiggle my hand out of hers.

"How about the day after that?" Cho pressed as the door to McGonagall's office swung open. We looked towards the door as I saw Y/N standing there, looking at Cho's hand holding mine.

"Y/N!" I yanked my hand out of Cho's and walked up to her.

"Hello, Harry. Cho," she said icily before turning around, marching the other way.

"Shit," I muttered under my breath as I chased after her, grabbing her wrist. "Y/N!"

"What?" she said calmly as she turned around.

"Nothing is going on between Cho and me by the way."

"Okay." She stared blankly back at me.

"Uhm... yeah?"

"What does that have to do with me? It's not like I'm your girlfriend or anything."

My heart dropped as I stared at her. She was right. It wasn't like I was her boyfriend or anything, but why did it hurt when she said that.

"Er.. right."

It soon became awkward, dead silent as we gazed at each other.

"Uh so, did you master the summoning spell?" she asked as she picked at her nails, a habit I noticed she does when she gets nervous.