Chapter 33 - The Gatekeeper

"It has been four days. You must eat, child."

In stubbornness, you refuse to acknowledge Eir's voice beside you, choosing instead to keep your chin resting on the tops of your knees as they are pulled tightly to your chest. You feel yourself once more starting to dig your thumb into your left palm - a habit you had broken, but had recently resurfaced.

"It is no wonder Loki chose you, you are as stubborn as the God himself."

"Don't compare me to that monster," you say quietly.

Eir tuts in disapproval from somewhere close by. "I understand you are suffering from more than physical and mental wounds, child," she says sternly. "But do not let these emotional scars keep you from healing your bodily ones. You must eat."

You feel a bowl once more lightly held against your hand. Letting out a sigh, you grab for it. 

"Can I at least remove the eye wraps while I try and eat?" you ask Eir.

"No, they must remain on at all times when we are not in a healing session. It is imperative."

"But you realize I can't see," you grumble. "How am I supposed to do this?"

"I'm sure you will figure out a way. Drink from the bowl, if you must," Eir sighs.

"Drink?" you question, jiggling the bowl in your hand. Sure enough, some sort of liquid sloshes around.  "Just great," you frown.

Eir says nothing further, so with an irritated huff you wave your hand over the bowl, looking for some sort of utensil. Your thumb knocks against what you're hoping is a spoon. Carefully bringing the bowl beneath your mouth, you lift the spoon to your face, but get nothing. You assume you must have tilted your hand too far, spilling.

"This is pointless," you say, growing frustrated.

"If you would allow me, I can help," Thor's voice floats from across the room. 

You bristle. Since your argument several days prior, you had not seen, or heard, the God. Although on a few occasions, you could have sworn you felt him. Somewhere close. Somewhere nearby.

"Thor," scolds Eir. "I have told you time and time again, visiting hours are between supper and sunset only."

"Lady Eir, I appreciate your vigilance, but while Lady Y/n is here on Asgard, she is my primary concern, and I will be stopping by as I see fit - is that understood?"

After a moment of silence, Eir replies. "Yes, my Prince."

You're stunned. You have never heard Thor use such an authoritarian tone before. And to hear a woman as strong and sharp as Eir cow immediately to his command is...not what you expected. 

"Here, my lady," Thor's voice comes from your side. "Slowly."

A cold, wooden spoon gently touches your bottom lip. For a moment, you don't react - torn between hunger, and anger. But hunger wins out as the slightest trace of something sweet stains your lips. You chase after it, parting your lips as Thor gently feeds you. You hum in pleasant surprise as a cold, sweet nectar spreads across your tongue and trickles down your throat. Although ice-cold, as soon as it hits your stomach a rich warmth blooms, warming your insides.

"Wow, what is this?" you question, accepting another mouthful.

Thor chuckles in amusement as he brings spoonful after spoonful to your lips. "It is Fruktbjorr," he says softly. "A honeyed soup of fruits. It will bring you vigor and stamina."

"So...ambrosia?" you question. "Are you serious?"

"Of a kind, yes," Thor answers. 

You eagerly accept more as Thor feeds you. With each mouthful, you feel your strength returning, and your mood improving. In silence, Thor continues to lift the spoon to your lips. You drink eagerly. Every once in a while Thor brushes away a stray strand of hair that falls in your face, remaining ever careful not to actually touch your skin.