s u r p r i s e

Paul and I were becoming closer now; acting more like father and son. I still made time for Newt though, because no matter how close Paul and I get, nobody makes me as happy as Newt does.
Paul and I were sitting at the park bench, just chatting, when Minho ran up to us.
"Hey!" He called. "You shanks better get over here!"
I followed Minho to the field, Paul trailing behind me. Whenever I asked Minho what was happening, he just ignored me.
"Minho!" I shouted, "What's going on? Is anyone hurt? Is Newt all right?"
"Everyone's fine, Thomas! Quit your buggin' nagging." Minho snapped, leading me through a crowd of people.
I could hear someone screaming. A girl. I pushed through the crowd, revealing a girl laying on the grass. She was screaming and throwing punches at people left and right.
I leaned over towards one of the people in the large crowd, and I asked them what was going on. All that they told me was that this girl had just arrived here and wouldn't stop freaking out.
I still couldn't see the girls face. Her dark hair was covering it, and she wasn't facing me. But people were getting hurt, and pretty soon, she might get hurt, too.
I had to do something.
Slowly, I approched the girl, touching her arm gently.
"Calm down, calm down. You're all right." I told her, trying to be comforting. The girl just kept shaking and throwing her arms around, so I grabbed her arms lightly, holding tight so that she couldn't move them.
The girl cried out in annoyance. "Let me go!"
Her voice sounded so familiar, I was sure that I've met her before. "I'm not letting go, okay? I want you to know that you're safe now, and we won't hurt you."
The girl peaked at me through her hair, only revealing her glossy eyes.
"My name is Thomas," I say, "I'm only here to help you, all right?"
Then, as if my words had triggered something inside of her, her body shot up, revealing her familiar face.
"Thomas," she breathed, "I knew it. I knew it was you!" Her arms wrapped around me. Shocked faces surrounded us.
I was drowning in her familiar sweet scent, and her unkempt dark hair.
Brenda.
She was here.
And surprisingly, I wish she wasn't.