Chapter 5

Grandma

The two of us sat on an old-looking couch making it creak as if it was going to break if we put more pressure on it. Then Grandma Ye came in, her steps although slow but it did not wobble like sole elders I've seen, with a kettle and a cup.

"I'll do it" Juan was about to go and take the kettle off of Grandma Ye but she tsked at her and said.

"You've been in a hospital for so long, take care of yourself first"

Juan just smiled and take the cup from her making her shale her head though there's still a smile on her face. It seems like they're very close, just from the interaction I've seen between the two of them.

"Is Xiao Ju alright now?" She asked with a concerned tinge in her voice as she looks at me like how an elder would look at her young.

"JuJu's fine now Grandma Ye, the doctor told me to keep her away from the cold and make sure she takes her medicine" she then places her hand on my head and caressed it softly making me lean towards her.

"Medicine? Have you bought enough? I can-"

"No Grandma Ye, I still have some left, you should keep it for yourself"

Grandma Ye can only sigh at the stubbornness of Juan. She already knew how stubborn she could be once she had decided despite the look of gentleness on her.  Besides, she is also not fit to say those words to her after they're in the same situation, living in this materialistic world with only a positive outlook on life and can only spend for their necessities.

My eyelids began to feel heavy and soon, the soothing caress, on the top of my head, lulls me into sleep.

Ugh, children are always sleepy, maybe it's also due to the fact I just recovered.

Meanwhile, the two ladies, generations apart have already connected in mind for the last four years.

"Oh my, Xiao Ju is already asleep" Grandma Ye whispered with a doting smile on her face. "It felt like yesterday when I first saw Xiao Ju in her swaddling clothes, now, she already can speak"

Juan looked at her child, her eyes although filled with tiredness, the love for her child remains stronger.

"Indeed she is, I'm lucky that I have her in my life" she said as if reminiscing, her eyes had a faraway look.

She was jolted when a warm hand was placed on her making her look up and see the pride in Grandma Ye's eyes.

"She's lucky to have you as a mother" her words struck deep into her heart after all she has been doubting the way she let her child live in this cruel world.

After seeing her child go out of consciousness from time to time, she felt her heart break. She wanted to take the pain from her child away but she can't, all she can do is to pray for the heavens above to let her live another day, and another till her hair turns white.

"It's not enough, I'm not enough for her. I can't provide her the best education, I would even resort to almost perished foods and now, she almost died in my arms. I just can't, I don't think I would be enough for her" she cried out, she voiced out her fears and anger towards herself.

She loves her child so much but then she's also the person that key her live in this cruel world, make her suffer with her. It's so unfair for her child.

"You're a child yourself when you had her so don't blame yourself too much. Juan, you already did a good job on raising her and I'm so proud of you. Don't be too hard on yourself, your love for her outshines the luxury that you wanted to provide for her" Grandma Ye said, her eyes filled with pity and amazement for this young woman.

Remembering the day she met her with her youthful look and that big stomach of hers, she won't forget.

After all, she's been through that as well.

***
Chapter 5 is up!

Exams, exams, exams, ugh! My brain is drained, I can't people. It's just hard but I'll try to make it to the third year, yep. Just say optimistic!!!

Anyway, have a great day everyone! Stay safe and healthy!

Please do VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!