Chapter 45

The following week could only be described as a busy if not hectic one for the 5.

As much as Chaeryeong and Jisu wanted to support their best friends as to the best of their abilities, they still had classes and other responsibilities to attend to, and that included assignments, reports, projects, and extracurricular activities.

As for the three athletes, while they also had classes to attend, a majority of their time was taken up in preparation for their next match against Sakura and Wonyoung, which immediately started right after their dinner at the buffet.

As soon as they had arrived back in their apartments, Yeji began to study their opponents, watching replays of their matches throughout the season, observing and analyzing the way their upcoming match-up played, including figuring out their play patterns and strategies, while also paying extra attention on their two star players, so that she could help both Ryujin and Yuna prepare in the high chance that they were going to go head-to-head against the other two.

And what Yeji was able to learn from dissecting the other team she implemented in their practice and training the following several days, relaying what she knew to her teammates and making sure for each play the other team had against at them, they had a countermove to fight it.

As for both Ryujin and Yuna, Yeji also took the time to spare an hour after every practice session to help them prepare against the duo from the other team, including sharing with them habits that she noticed from the two opposing players, including the way Sakura was very much right-hand heavy, which meant if Ryujin could push her to use her left, the short-haired girl had a high chance of stealing the ball away, while Wonyoung's moves could be predicted by the way she dribbled the ball: a strong dribble meant she was going to go for the shot, while a light dribble was going to be followed by another move, which meant Yuna had a high chance of blocking her shots if she could time it right.

And soon enough, the day for their second match of the tournament came, in which the whole team was more than prepared for after a week of difficult yet determined training.

And much to their hard work and delight, they were able to secure a convincing 88-72 victory against Sakura and Wonyoung, surprising many in the crowd who had come to see the remaining 8 teams left in the tournament, only to be blown away at how smooth Yeji, Ryujin and Yuna were able to cruise past the second round and into the semi-finals, clinching a spot in the top 4.

"Good work today," the coach said as they once more reentered their waiting room, their jersey's drenched in sweat after their game.

"You guys did great today. But the journey isn't over yet," the coach continued, her voice loud and stern.

"We're up against them next, right?" Doyeon replied, sensing where her coach was going with the way she spoke.

"Lisa and Rose," Yeji answered with a thoughtful look.

"Yup. The current champions, and probably the best team here. We'll be playing Lalisa Manoban and Park Chae-young, also known as Lisa and Rose," the coach explained. "They'll be playing the next game against the team led by Solar, so I do suggest that you all go and watch. Regardless of the outcome, it'll be a game worth watching, and maybe we'll learn a thing or two about the team we'll face next."

"We can go watch after a quick shower?" Ryujin said to Yeji, who quickly nodded in agreement before taking out the towel in her locker and heading to the shower room.

-----

By the time Yeji, Ryujin, and Yuna had arrived back on the court to watch Lisa and Rose's game, the match was already headed into the second quarter, yet when their eyes laid upon the large red glowing numbers on the scoreboard, they could only stand in shock and awe at how large the gap between the two teams were.