Chapter 3 - I don't date

Lexi's POV

Why is Mason Young staring at me? I whip my head around after he winks, hoping my cheeks don't flush with embarrassment at being caught.

Probably because those shorts are too short the voice nags at me.

I push the voice out of my head and concentrate on my planner. I don't have time for its self-deprecating comments or the university's most eligible athlete. I have to make sure I apply to my top internship companies by the end of next week.

The music industry is extremely competitive, and the interview process takes months. My professor from my first music entertainment course was adamant that we need to have a strong resume and to apply as soon as possible to multiple record labels.

Boston and New York City have strong markets, but my dream is to intern in Los Angeles.

I mark down to revise my resume and write a couple of cover letters tonight as well as message my connections at each publishing company. I did a few informational interviews through LinkedIn last summer and it's definitely given me a leg up on the competition.

"Miss Olson, why do you think marketing is important to our society?" asks the professor who could tell I wasn't paying attention to her. I look up from my planner and audibly gulp.

Shit. I only have a basic knowledge of marketing and haven't been studying it for two years like the rest of my peers in the room. On top of that, I have no idea what she was talking about for the last ten minutes.

"Uh.." I stutter. Think Lexi think! She was saying something about how it affects the brain, right?

"It's important to help drive our economy and create buyers that will hopefully turn into ambassadors for the company through word-of-mouth advertising." a voice from the back says.

I'm grateful for the interruption until I turn around and find the voice belongs to Mason. He's sitting back in his seat, his legs opened and propped out in front of him, twirling a pen in his hands. I notice at least a dozen other girls staring at him and I think the one even sighed when he answered the professor's question.

Sure, he's cute and I should be happy he took all of the pressure off of me, but to sigh over his answer? Seems like a little much to me.

"Is that the only reason it's important to society?" the professor asks, narrowing her eyes on him. He sits up, leaning his arm on the tiny desk and I catch a glimpse of his bulging muscles underneath his baseball t-shirt.

"It's good for psychological reasons too. Makes people feel better about themselves." He chuckles, staring right at me. The professor looks between the two of us and I feel a few pair of eyes glare at me.

I flush and turn around in my seat. Why is his attention only on me when there's at least a few dozen girls in this room who could love it? From the little I know of him, he's from Georgia, sleeps around, barely shows up to class, and loves parties.

Oh yeah, he's also the top MLB prospect in the nation.

Probably because he wants in your pants. The voice sneers.

I shake my head and refocus on the professor's lecture making sure I take detailed notes. I do not need another surprise question coming at me this early in the morning.

I catch Mason's eye a few times throughout the lecture, and I'm convinced he hasn't taken a single note unless he's planning on reciting every move I made in class today. Why is he laser focused on me? Is this shirt see-through? I thought I wore a nude bra.

"Don't forget to bring in a product to market on Wednesday. Have a great day." our professor says, smiling and dismissing us after an hour.

I make a note in my planner about the assignment, then shove everything into my book bag. I have just enough time to grab a sandwich from the campus deli and make it to my next class. I've been looking forward to this turkey bacon cheese sandwich all weekend.