Chapter 4 - Let the Games Begin

Mason's POV

I'm still riding high from my conversation with Lexi as I jog out to the diamond. She's way more shy than I gave her credit for, but she has a kind smile. She's also a stellar student from the notes she took during class. Instead of paying attention to the lecture, I watched her and studied her movements.

A few times I caught her eye, but instead of smiling or winking, she shook her head and turned around. It still blows my mind how a girl like her doesn't date or hook up simply because she's beautiful.

Clearly, she's been asked out by dozens of guys with the quick way she turned me down. I need to step up my game if I want to show her I'm not like the others even if filthy ideas flow through my mind when I'm around her.

"Mason, are you going to do the cooldown with us or what?" shouts Blake Davis pulling me out of my thoughts.

I smirk and jog over from my shortstop spot to join the group to stretch. Our practice is relatively short today since it's the fall. While we have to condition and play a few games to try out the freshmen and walk-ons, it's pretty lowkey. This is the time of year we major in throwing parties versus fielding baseballs.

"Nice to see you show up Captain" laughs Noah Thompson as I come to a stop next to him.

Noah and Blake have been my teammates and roommates since freshman year and the best part about them is they keep me humble. They're my friends because they like me for me and not because I'm going to be the first pick in the MLB draft next year.

They're both talented as well, having been five-star recruits in their respective states. It's nice we can be friends outside of baseball though. I don't have to worry about them trying to ride my coattails to the majors.

Southern Gulf Coast University has won the NCAA National Baseball Championship twelve times and this year we're headed to be the first school to move into sole position of the most championships. If we can win the series versus Arkansas and split series with Vanderbilt, I'll feel pretty damn good about our chances. The SEC is arguably the hardest division in D-1 baseball.

"Should we make the party themed?" asks Blake while pulling up his right leg and balancing on the left.

Every fall semester, the juniors and seniors on the team throw a back-to-school party for the whole team and initiate the younger guys. It's also a great excuse to invite certain girls over to hang out with the team.

"What are we Greek row?" Noah snorts. "We are not doing a theme. It's the first week back, let's ease into it. Besides, there's too much riding on this for the rest of the semester."

"I'm down for either one" I say, always playing peacemaker. Truth is, I don't care if there's a theme or not, all I care about is if Lexi is coming.

"Who do you have your eyes on this semester?" Noah asks while getting up from his butterfly stretch.

I stretch my right leg behind me and cross my left in front of me then lean forward to stretch my hip flexor. I repeat the motion on the opposite side while Noah stares at me waiting for an answer. The boys know to wait to pick a girl until I do. It's an unspoken rule because I started this initiation my freshmen year.

"Lexi Olson" I grin and adjust my cap to push my hair back. I need another buzz cut soon or the sweat from my hair will drip down my face and into my eyes during a game, but the ladies love the baseball flow. It's a tough choice.

Noah and Blake each blow a low whistle in appreciation of my choice. Lexi may think she's invisible on campus, but to any dude with a set of eyes can tell she's gorgeous.