75

A warm mixture of happiness filled my heart, a feeling I hadn't felt for a long time

A warm mixture of happiness filled my heart, a feeling I hadn't felt for a long time. My heart beat quicker and quicker, threatening to break through my chest as I replayed the information I'd received over and over in my head. Carlos wasn't dead. Carlos wasn't dead. Carlos wasn't dead!

"I have to see him!" I burst, a grin pulling at my lips.

"And you will, soon," Aviva smiled, "He's been dying to see you."

It took all of my willpower not to run frantically around the forest, looking for Carlos. Instead, I walked with Allegra and Ashley, Aviva had run off- saying something about a fortress she'd built. I'd never had a little sister and I certainly never wished for one- seeing as Caroline was enough trouble, but if I did, I'd want her to be like Aviva.

We had come to a clearing in the woods, where people of all shapes, colours and sizes seemed to be training. Some engaged in combat, beads of sweat forming at their temples, brows furrowed in concentration. I couldn't help but stare in awe. These people looked so different, yet they looked the same- the hint of camaraderie and familiarity in the air, despite them trying to tear each other apart.

As I watched wide-eyed, silver flashed by my eyes, mere millimetres from my cheek. Just as I turned to see what it was, a dagger lodged itself into a tree.

I was more shocked than scared, wondering if someone was trying to kill me.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to that around here," Ashley exchanged a knowing glance with Allegra.

I tried to calm the rapid beating of my heart, so as not to look 'childish' or 'scared'. Weapons flew to and fro from the clearing people were training on. Ashley and Allegra didn't bother ducking, they looked rather unfazed.

"I'm sorry, this would be mine," A deep, fluid voice announced.

A burly boy, who seemed just around my age, with dark brown skin and a curly mini-afro grinned sheepishly, pulling the dagger out of the tree effortlessly.

"I'm assuming you were the one behind the failed assassination attempt," I raised an eyebrow, sarcastically.

"She's funny, I like her already," He winked at Allegra, who already looked bored- like she wanted to read a book, or crush someone's skull. I decided I would steer clear of her, she didn't seem to like me much either way.

"I'm Brennon," He stretched out a hand and I shook it back. His chocolate brown eyes were warm and transparent, I'd already decided that I liked him.

"Brennon is one of my good friends, and one of the best knife throwers we have," Allegra rolled her eyes, trying not to feed Brennon's ego.

"Brennon! Over here!" Another voice called and Brennon winked at me before running off.

I pretended not to notice the pairs of eyes that stared at me, whispering. It brought back all sorts of memories from the palace that she didn't want to remember.

"Madeline," Ashley's voice pulled me out of my trance, thankfully. "Carlos should be this way."

I followed Ashley as we walked away, leaving Allegra at the training ground.

"So what exactly was this place, before the Dark Bloods took over?" I asked.

"An Aridian military base. The soldiers abandoned it after some sort of earthquake," Ashley explained as we continued walking. A child, hand in hand with his parents walked past us. They were laughing and smiling. Happy.

The Dark Bloods seemed much different from what I'd expected.

From The Dark Lords.

But I knew not to judge a book by its cover, and not to trust anyone- not Allegra, not even Ashley. The only person I would trust was Carlos.

We were a good distance away from the training ground, in a secluded area of trees when I saw him.

Everything happened in slow motion, everything slowed except the beating of my heart which increased with every millisecond.

There he was. Carlos. Alive.

I bounded towards him, throwing my arms around him before he returned the gesture.

We remained in the embrace for nearly 5 minutes before he pulled away, his hands held my forearms tightly as his eyes searched my body for any signs of harm.

He didn't look much like the old Carlos. His eyes seemed darker- but in a sadder sense, his hair messy and tangled.

Somehow he still managed to look good.

"I haven't been able to stop thinking about you," Carlos breathed.

I didn't know what to say. I didn't know how to form the words to convey how happy I was to see Carlos alive.

The only words I could utter, however, were, "I'm sorry."

Carlos looked taken aback, "Sorry for what?"

"I'm sorry for marrying Amancio, he threatened to kill you if I didn't," I sighed.

If Carlos was bothered by the fact that I was married to his ex best friend, he didn't show it.

"Well, did you consummate it?" Ashley spoke up for the first time since Carlos and I had reunited.

I flushed a deep shade of red as Carlos' jaw clenched, he awaited my answer.

"No, we did not," I narrowed my eyes at Ashley, looking everywhere but at Carlos.

"Then the marriage can be annulled, easy," Ashley shrugged.

"You forget that Amancio is a narcissistic dictator," Carlos pointed out, annoyed.

Ashley tipped her head to the side, "Amancio and Madeline's marriage doesn't change anything between you two. That's the most important part."

Carlos' eyes met with mine.

"What was it like? Did he hurt you?" Carlos' eyes searched mine.

I could still feel the ghost of Amancio's grip on my neck.

"No, he did not," I lied. "W-we rarely spoke."

Carlos nodded, though he didn't look entirely convinced. "I'm going to kill him."

Guys

Guys.

When I say that I am sorry...

I mean this from the bottom of my heart.

I AM SOOOOO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING IN SO LONG.

First it was school, then I literally moved to a different CONTINENT. Now I start at a new high school in a few days, and I'm so nervous omggg.

But, I've seen all your comments asking for an update. I will try my best to be more consistent but if I falter, please please PLEASE don't give up on me or this book.

Ok, have a good week besties xx.

-Dawn