˗ˋ 65

CHAPTER SIXTY FIVE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY'RE RESCUED

. . .

The set of red sparks had long faded away into the inky night, and all Elodie could do was wait, staring at the blue-ish light emitting from her wand, Krum laying still beside her. 

She had closed his eyes, somewhat freaked out by the sight of the unfocused, veiled blue, and despite Viktor laid on the grass beside her, she felt incredibly alone. 

Time ticked by as Elodie waited, but in reality it was truly not long for her to sit there, staring at the light and every so often checking around Viktor, to make sure that the branches from the hedges surrounding them wasn't latching onto him. 

Elodie was beginning to get impatient - it seemed like she had been there for ages - and at least one of the four who had been patrolling around the maze could get there soon. 

"Come on." She muttered to herself, and as the last echo of the second word disappeared into the night, a rustling could be heard. Raising her wand rather cautiously, Elodie peered into the darkness, shock flooding her system when one of the horrifying creatures she had encountered.

It seemed that the Blast-Ended Skrewt had been released from the slowing jinx, and disturbed by the ruckus that Krum had caused among the three other champions, has made it's way over to the long row of hedges.

She swore under her breath, and was about to lift her wand, extinguishing the spell and lowering herself as far to the ground as possible, aiming for the unprotected belly of the creatures and-

It froze in it's path, and confused, Elodie stumbled to her feet, wincing at the pain that came from the stingy cuts along each of her arms. She swayed on her feet, the blood loss making her rather faint and dizzy. 

"Tha''s right, yeh stop there yeh manky beast." Elodie almost toppled over into the hedge as she finally heard a voice that wasn't her own, sinking to the ground as from around the corner, both McGonagall, Hagrid and Flitwick squeezed past the frozen Skrewt.

Each of them seemed to falter at the sigh of Elodie on the floor besides an unconcious Viktor. "You weren't required to stay with-" McGonagall began, as she approached the pair, stopping when she saw the singular cuts that ran up each of her arm. "Oh Filius." 

"What's happened here?" Flitwick made his way over, peering past McGonagall's gowns and looking down at the pair. 

"We'll ask questions later." McGonagall said rather suddenly. "We need to get them back to Madam Pomfrey. Hagrid, you take Krum." 

"Right yeh are." The gamekeeper nodded, moving forward and picking Krum up, somehow making the usually rather large and muscular Bulgarian seeker seem tiny as Hagrid hooked an arm under his legs and behind his shoulders.

"Can you walk?" McGonagall asked, helping Elodie to her feet and rather gently holding up each arm, examining them under the light from Flitwick's wand. Elodie nodded, watching as the Charms professor peered at the cuts.

"The skin was seperated by magic rather than by a beast" He squeaked, the Beaumont girl nodding once more, but not getting a chance to say anything as McGonagall began to lead her away, Professor Flitwick taking the front of the group whilst Hagrid took up the back.

They walked in silence for a short while, Flitwick stopping any creatures they came upon with ease, McGonagall mumbling various things to him, making sure that Elodie didn't hear. 

They split up as they finally reached the edge of the maze, Flitwick being decided to be the person who should continue to patrol as McGongall and Hagrid helped the two back to where they had began.

"Professor McGonagall." Elodie said rather suddenly, and the teacher looked over at her, tilted head, hinting she should continue. "I don't think Viktor was in his right mind when he attacked us."

"Attacked.. us?" McGonagall asked, and Elodie's eyes widened when she realised that the woman had no idea what had happened, just that they had been summoned by the sparks. 

"Harry had helped me with a boggart, then we split up. And then I heard shouts and went back, and found Viktor and Cedric against each other. Viktor was trying to use the Cruciatus curse." Elodie admitted, and McGonagall stopped in her tracks.

"Did he succeed?" McGonagall asked, jaw setting when she saw Elodie nod. "I see, well, I believe that it is rather important that the Ministry and Professor Dumbledore find out about this immediately.

"Wait - no Professor." Elodie quickly interjected. "He was stopped by Harry and when I went over to check if he was waking up any time soon, his eyes sort of had a veil over them.. he seemed dazed. Not really focused. And as famous seeker - well, I think you know what I'm getting at." 

McGonagall seemed to look more horrified as Elodie spoke each word. "Thank you for informing me of this, Miss Beaumont." But her voice was shaking. "Hagrid, please take Mr Krum straight up to the Hospital Wing - no, avoid the crowds."

Hagrid looked confused, but nodded, slipping off to the side and just managing to squeeze out. And McGonagall and Elodie continued back to where the task had began, neither having any idea of the storm that was to come.