Chapter 29 - Clash of eyes

____________________________________________________________________________

She always had that

look about her,

that look of

otherness.

Of eyes that see

things much too far,

and of thoughts 

that wander off

the edge of

the World.

____________________________________________________________________________

Betelgeuse has spent the summer between her fourth and fifth year studying in preparation for her O.W.L.S. It would have appeared premature to do so, but she liked to be prepared. The girl shared the proud nature of most of the members of the House of Black. She pried herself to be at the top of her classes, and she wanted to maintain that position.

Betelgeuse had finished her assignments early in the summer, leaving some free time to unwind, read some books from the Family Library, converse with her companion and wander around Muggle London. She had discovered deep within herself a sincere fascination with Muggles and their unusual habits. All because of the copious amount of time she spent in her uncle's room. He possessed peculiar Muggle objects that stirred her never-ending curiosity.

The Black girl had asked her housemate about some of the items she had found, but he was totally at a loss of knowledge when it came to Muggles.

From that moment, Betelgeuse alternated lengthy tours of the city with writing detailed letters to the twins and even sometimes to Arthur on her discoveries in the Muggle World.

The twins wrote her a letter in mid-July about their father winning The Daily Prophet Grand Prize Galleon Draw. Molly and Arthur had decided to use the money to visit Bill in Egypt. They would stay there for a whole month, so the twins asked the girl if she could visit them at the Borrow in the last week of the summer holidays. After consulting with him, she had written an affirmative reply to the two boys.

Betelgeuse had received even a letter from Harry. He had complained about the loneliness he felt with his Muggle family, lamenting his separation from his spellbooks. His uncle Vernon and aunt Petunia had locked his belongings, in hope to prevent him from doing any 'freak' schoolwork. Betelgeuse smiled, remembering what he had written a few lines down. Harry had crept downstairs, picked the lock on the cupboard under the stairs, grabbed some of his books, and hidden them in his bedroom.

The influence of Fred and George was definitely bad for the boy.

Betelgeuse had resolved to surprise the twins with an unexpected visit before their departure. She was ready to leave at any moment.

She heard a knock on her bedroom door.

"Have you gathered everything, Meus Stella?" Came a low melodic voice from the threshold. The girl turned around, meeting the mercury eyes of her interlocutor, "Yes, I just need to grab something." Betelgeuse opened the first drawer of her bedside table, pulling out a rectangular box, finely wrapped in green velvet paper and closed by a black ribbon. She turned to the man, "Happy late birthday," she softly smiled, handing him the gift.