24. I CAN'T BREATHE

It was a beautiful, sunny afternoon

It was a beautiful, sunny afternoon. The air smelled of blooming flowers, summoned by a gentle breeze. Jeongguk loved days like this. It was perfect - not too warm, not too cold. He closed the Mercedes door behind him and turned his face towards the sun. He closed his eyes and let the sun's rays warm his milky skin for a moment. When he lifted his eyelids again, he shifted his gaze to his right hand, which held a small bouquet of daisies he had bought a moment ago. He smiled softly at the very thought of the person it was meant for. In the right pocket of his coat, however, he felt the strange weight of a small square box with a pink velvet ribbon on it.

He didn't like expensive, lavish gifts intended only to emphasize how much his wallet weighed, but he knew that was what Lisa expected. He also knew that at her farewell party, everyone's eyes would be on them - a lovely, happy pair of brides who had to part ways. He didn't understand at all why everybody was making such a big deal out of this trip. Rose was throwing a party for Lisa, as if she was going to the other side of the world for at least six months, and not for two weeks to the second branch of their company, which in fact is just over a thousand kilometers from Seoul.

Knowing, however, that this is what everyone is expecting from him, he bought another damn expensive gift for her, which the girl will be able to show to her friends to make them literally green with envy. This time, he just popped into a jewelry store and bought the earrings the saleswoman had chosen without thinking. He remembered well the failure of his last choice, and he had no intention of worrying about such things.

Not today.

He smiled to himself again and checked his watch. It's time, he thought. After a moment, exactly as expected, the faint bell rang, signaling the end of the lesson. Instinctively, he turned his head towards the small, low building, from which a group of kids slowly started running out, running quickly towards their parents. He looked closely for the familiar face among them, and when he saw it, he smiled even wider.

Yoo was wearing a warm white sweater and bright jeans, and over it was a bottle-green coat. She was wearing a beanie of almost the same shade on her head, which made her look like a dark green version of Smurfette. Jeongguk was sure that Yerim was the inspiration behind her daughter's choice of outfits. The little one always wanted to steal her mother's clothes, even though they were much too big for her.

The girl looked around for her mother, but she couldn't see her car anywhere. Seeing her uncertainty, Jeongguk took a step forward and parted his lips to call out to her, but at that exact moment their eyes met.

"Ggukie!" the little girl squeaked, immediately rushing towards him.

The brunet grabbed her in his arms almost on the run and kissed her ruddy cheek.

"Hello, princess," he greeted her. "This is for you," he said, handing her a bouquet of daisies.

"How beautiful!" Yoo judged. "What are you doing here?"