Chapter 33

Chang Ying decided to stop by the kitchen before she went to the shared room Feifei stayed to play up her show of sympathy. She knew her earlier coldness and dry unconcern for Feifei did not go down well.

Even if she knew the family would say nothing, Chang Ying decided it was more mature to show at least some social courtesy.

Inside the room, Mo Yue was tending to the sore, pitiful scald victim. Feifei was already dressed for school but she held her hands in front of her with a sad expression, sniffing pitifully about how much they hurt.

It was her final year of school, with their limited resources, Feifei could not afford to even miss a day of schoolwork and fall behind whether she was sick or wounded. But that did not stop her from dragging it out to drum up more affection.

Mo Yue gently held the injured hands and blew on them, feeling pain for the poor girl. She was comforting Feifei like a child when Chang Ying entered.

Feifei saw Chang Ying enter and walk up to her sleeping mat. She recalled everything that happened that morning. Even after everything, Lu Chen chose not to admonish this witchy woman.

Feifei squeezed out a forced, uncomfortable smile, showing how much she didn't want Chang Ying around. In contrast, her timid voice politely said, "Sister Ying, I'm sorry I could not serve you properly earlier to apologize to you. I'm injured now but once I get better, I will do it."

Chang Ying narrowed her eyes. Why did it sound in her ears as if she was forcing Feifei to slave away to earn her forgiveness and her callousness was what got Feifei hurt? Chang Ying scratched the base of her earlobe. Maybe she was reading too much into it and being sensitive. In fact, what she was about to do made her feel slightly guilty, ne.

Mo Yue sighed exasperatedly and poked Feifei's forehead with her pointer finger. "You silly child, you don't need to do all that. Ying-er, tell her she is silly."

Chang Ying looked at Mo Yue at the side. The older woman looked at her with clear, honest eyes.

Or maybe not. Though the woman looked unaffected, seeds of doubt like this tended to come back to echo loudly later. Chang Ying recalled Lu Chen's words. Be good, he had said. She didn't want to disappoint him.

So, she will be good. She will be good with all her might!

Chang Ying mustered all the sincerity in her heart and smiled at Feifei. "Yes, mother is right. It was a silly thing to do. Apologizing doesn't have to be so difficult, it just has to come from your heart. Next time, just say you are sorry. Are your hands okay?"

Feifei trembled, it was not clear initially if it was because she was moved or angry or pretending to be moved by Chang Ying's compassion. "The water was freshly boiled from the fire and it was poured on my hands. My hands might be scarred for life."

Mo Yue raised her voice in part scolding and part worry. "Feifei, don't be like that! Hot water splashed on me so many times when I was small. Don't worry, it will heal like nothing happened, you are tougher than you think."

"I agree." Chang Ying supported her. "Since I am your big sister, I brought of the ointment I have leftover for you."

Chang Ying showed them the small palm-sized container she had in her other hand. Though, inwardly she was sure Feifei's original plan was to use the pearl to restore her skin to flawlessness.

"Ah, Chang Ying, that good. I'm glad you have some of that ointment left" Mo Yue exclaimed happily. "Feifei, see. You will get better soon."

Feifei's lips spread into a thin, stiff smile. "Yes, thank you, Sister Ying."